Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Removing a WWL-1B during a dive

Started by Proteus ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing a WWL-1B during a dive

8 posts
  1. What do you do with a WWL-1B if you remove it during a dive?  I've seen discussions about this, but have not seen anything written I like.  I'm hoping someone has found a good solution.

    So here's the scenario; you remove the WWL-1B during a dive to "switch" from wide angle to the 28-60 focal length.  In NC the conditions can range from 100 foot, to 10 foot, visibility - and you only find out when you reach the bottom.  This results in a need to change lenses.  Given that you've removed the WWL-1B you can:

    1. Store the WWL on Nauticam's bayonet holder.  In my case this would be "center bar" mounted float that spans across the top of the housing.  Clearly this would work but it results in a huge chunk of glass on top of your rig.  Net floatation is unchanged so that's good, but it's a big chunk to manage and it's in you line of sight.
    2. Remove the WWL and store it on your person (but where - a carrying bag?).  This solves the "big chunk" issue, but you now have a change of +130 grams to your rig.  If you were neutral before, now you're quite positive and I don't see that as a good thing.  Also, what bag or holder might one use that would hold the WWL?
    3. Create a means to mount the WWL to the bottom of the housing.  This maintains net buoyancy but, as noted in another post, seems likely to result in a damaged WWL when you crash it into the sand or the reef.  You would still be dealing with the "big chunk".  It would be out of your line of site, but probably not in a good way.

    Anybody found an ideal?  I know there's a lot of folks using the WWL / wet lens solutions and I'm hoping for better than I've found so far.

  2. Kraken/Weefine make an adjustable float arm, that you can add Water to through a Valve. That could solve the buoyancy issues. No idea how to store the lens though.

  3. I wear a pair of elasticised tech shorts (“Scubapro Hybrid Tech Shorts”) over my wetsuit and I stuff the lens down my pants if I need to take it off. I look like a dork when I do it, but it’s actually a fairly functional solution.

  4. I do this pretty rarely, but I have done it. 

    I use the plastic hard cap which has cave line tied to it and a bolt snap at the other end. The bolt snap is attached to a flange on the housing. I think if you search the forums here, you will find a picture.

    When I want to remove the WWL1-B, I put the hard cap on, then remove the lens. It "dangles" down below the housing so the overall buoyancy doesn't change. Is it a bit risky? Yes, a bit. The cave line could break. The cap could pop off the lens. Etc.

    However, it the few times I have done this it has been over a bottom and not on a wall with infinite depth (i.e., I could "rescue" the lens if needed). I suppose it might get scratched.

    But, again, I think I can count the number of times I have actually done this on one hand, but it does work.

    - brett

     

  5. Other's may have better idea, but this works for me here in Puget Sound, which means thick dry gloves. Camera is A7C with NA housing. I have one bayonet holder on the right float arm, this is used to store WWL-1B. On the same housing post, I have a triple clamp with another bayonet holder at the end of that arm. You can see both below. I find I need both as handling one while swapping the other is challenging with the gloves. I suppose you can put both on the float, but having both face me seems to work out with the swapping. To make things quicker, I've also put a silver registration mark (silver sharpie) where the lens matches up with the blue holder latch, which avoids fussing with the lens too much. Note, This is just slightly negative, and since I carry the camera with right hand, I don't notice any balance awkwardness. 

    camers1.thumb.JPG.41592bcea7de7b0f1feacdf87cc53a03.JPG

    Edited by RVbldr
  6. I use a bayonet holder. The lens is only 160 negative although it is very big so it does not constitue a big issue.

  7. I never take it of, to cumbersome.  As it focusses close to the lens, its not unusable at 10 feet visibility. However, focusing on your question, I would not worry about the 130 gram change of your rig.

  8. place the cover on it, either the big plastic one or neoprene soft cover, take it off, stick it in your BCD jacket pocket if you have one.

    don't worry too much of the buoyancy change.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.