Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

UWL-09 PRO Mounting Questions

Started by traveldave ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

UWL-09 PRO Mounting Questions

4 posts
  1. A few questions for those who use the UWL-09 PRO wet lens:

    1) What is the best way to mount the lens on the rig when it's removed from the camera port?  Seems too heavy to mount on arms.  Best solution I've seen so far is the Backscatter Arch.  Curious if there are other solutions that wouldn't require purchase of new tray/handles/etc

    2) Instructions say "Install the lens on the housing lens port underwater only and remove it prior to ending the dive. Once removed, the lens can be mounted on a lens holder. Avoid having the lens assembled on the housing on land as much as possible, as it is heavier and exerts more pressure on the threads."  I'm assuming I should take this seriously?   Presumably it would instead be mounted using whatever solution is best under my previous question?

    3) Any other tips for using this lens?  Hoping to try it for the first time next month before Socorro in November. 

    Thanks all!

  2. Honestly, with a lens that size and weight, I'd just consider it to be on full time when on the dive. Too much risk trying to store it somewhere on your kit and damaging the dome. 

  3. Hi,

    My asnwer to your question #2:

     

    (agree with @Lewis88

    Those lens are similar to the Nauticam WWL-1 (similar in weight and FOV, not going to talk about image quality, etc...). I have the WWL-1, and use the Nauticam bayonet system, that threads on the 67mm lens/port. That's how I would use the UWL-09 PRO wet lens. Attaching it and removing the lens is very easy and you do not stress the threads as the bayonet is installed all the time on both sides.

    I never switch from wide to macro in a dive, so I don't have an answer to your question #1. Those lens are heavy and bulky, I know you can also install the bayonet on the arms or floats but having that lense sticking out of one of your camera arms/floats will be very unconfortable to manage, also the rig balance will be affected ...

     

    regards

     

    jordi

    Edited by j0rd1l0p3z
  4. Hi there,

    I've used a similar wetlens for a while (Krakensports KRL01/Weefine WFL01). I found it annoying in the beginning, that only changed after adding a floatcollar (adapted the one from Nauticam as a DIY project) and magnetic mounts to port, lens and floatarms. As I was frequently chaning lenses, I had one float arm dedicated for the wideangle lens, one for the close up lens. Like this it was reasonable to switch (take the lens of the port and move it to the arm without juggling around with two lenses in your hands during the switch). Not really cheap as you need two M67 thread mounts for the arms, three port-side magnetic adapters (port, both arms) and two lens-side magentic adapters (both lenses), but still the only viable solution I found.

    Best,
    Fabian

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.