Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Any Recommendations for an U/W P&S?

Started by chitown_SBP ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Any Recommendations for an U/W P&S?

5 posts
  1. I have a DSLR underwater rig with housing, strobes, et al. I love using it. But, sometimes I like having just a small point & shoot camera that I can stuff in my BCD pocket, especially on dives where I don’t want or can’t have the distraction of a big set up. I had the Nikon Coolpix W300, but I hated it so much I sold it. I really disliked the color rendering and couldn’t even find a way to improve it in post-production. Do you guys have recommendations for other P&S’s? Being able to stuff it in a BCD pocket is my top requirement for the camera, so if there is a camera + housing that fits that requirement, I’d definitely be interested in the suggestion. Good color rendering would be another key requirement.

    chitown_sbp

    Edited by chitown_SBP
  2. Phone housing is probably your best bet for this.

  3. Yep, I agree with Bermaglot. I’ve seen amazing results with an iPhone in the SeaLife housing. 

  4. 1 hour ago, chitown_SBP said:

    I have a DSLR underwater rig with housing, strobes, et al. I love using it. But, sometimes I like having just a small point & shoot camera that I can stuff in my BCD pocket, especially on dives where I don’t want or can’t have the distraction of a big set up. I had the Nikon Coolpix W300, but I hated it so much I sold it. I really disliked the color rendering and couldn’t even find a way to improve it in post-production. Do you guys have recommendations for other P&S’s? Being able to stuff it in a BCD pocket is my top requirement for the camera, so if there is a camera + housing that fits that requirement, I’d definitely be interested in the suggestion. Good color rendering would be another key requirement.

    chitown_sbp

    I think the only real options that fits this criteria these days is the TG-6 at least from point of view of a small sensor compact.  Other than that there are the 1" sensor models - Sony RX-100, Canon G7X, Panasonic LX-10.   

    The choice would depend on what you want to do with it.  For wide angle they are all 24mm lenses behind a flat port, so not that wide.  The TG-6 can do macro by itself and get in very close.  The 1" models can't get that close for macro work and ideally need an add on diopter.  They can all do fish portrait type work and general pics. 

    As far as colour rendering goes, assuming if it's in your BCD pocket you are wanting to shoot ambient light only.  Colour rendering of coursedepends on how well it white balances at depth. There are limits of course and you can only get really good colour rendering to relatively shallow depths.  Water quality can make a big difference in this situation, clear tropical waters will allow you to get the best colours of course.  

    a housed phone is another option as well.

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  5. The Olympus TG6 is a super all around pocket camera, with a housing it takes great underwater photos.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.