Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Filming blue sharks with or without light?

Started by BLUEWAVEFILMS ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Filming blue sharks with or without light?

4 posts
  1. I am planning to fly to the Azores in July to film blue sharks. My previous experience with sharks in blue water has been limited to oceanic whitetips, thresher sharks and hammerheads. Oceanic whitetips are known to dislike bright video lights or flashlights, at least that was the case with the ones I encountered in Egypt.

    What about blue sharks? They are known to be very curious. Does bright video light bother them or even attract them? Most of the videos of blue sharks in the Azores shown on YouTube were made without light.

    Thanks a lot for any thoughts, ideas, tips and tricks...

    Andreas

    Edited by BLUEWAVEFILMS
  2. It is my understanding that absorption by water halves the light every ten meters, or more, depending on suspended particles.  As bright lights repel the sharks, available sunlight is the light to use. Also, quiet movements and gentle finning are indicated to keep down water vibration.

     

  3. I dived with blue sharks in the Azores last year and photographed them.  They came really close and did not seem to be bothered by flashlights. For photography I would surely recommend using a flash. Not sure how they will behave with constant video lights this but they behave rather pushy because of the smell of fish in the water, so I expect not. You are hanging on a rope in the water and if you are one of the upper divers ambient light will be perfect, hanging deeper I would try lights.

    P8262091-FB bericht 1200 lang 4 Mb max-2.jpg

    P8241987-bewerkt.jpg

  4. 8 hours ago, Floris Bennema said:

    I dived with blue sharks in the Azores last year and photographed them.  They came really close and did not seem to be bothered by flashlights. For photography I would surely recommend using a flash. Not sure how they will behave with constant video lights this but they behave rather pushy because of the smell of fish in the water, so I expect not. You are hanging on a rope in the water and if you are one of the upper divers ambient light will be perfect, hanging deeper I would try lights.

    P8262091-FB bericht 1200 lang 4 Mb max-2.jpg

    P8241987-bewerkt.jpg

    Thank you!

    Your experience helps a lot in my decision to bring my video lights. Amazing photos by the way. Now I am even more looking forward to dive with those guys. :-)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.