I have to admit I am rather puzzled by the anxiety of sharpness across the frame that seems to be the motto with underwater shooters
Topside sharp images throughout as usually architecture, landscape, studio work withour distracting elements. There needs to be sufficient depth of field for the subject or part of the subject if that is more interesting.
If you were taking a picture of a flower or a bird you would not want the rest of the image to be sharp throughout the opposite you want whatever is not subject to the blurred to emulate how your eyes see.
Recently there has been an influx of wide angle macro lenses for topside Laowa is a prominent example of it and this is all about close up and subject and the rest is just an idea of the background leaving the rest to imagination
Close focus wide angle instead is all about sharpness if possible throughout. This is of course difficult if not impossible without stopping down the aperture
Mirrorless camera lenses frequently can't be stopped down more than f/22 and stacking is not really an option underwater
On the same coin new cameras are optimised to shoot at f/4 f/5.6 no longer f/8 f/11 and by f/11 resolution starts to drop by f/16 normally halves f/22 is mostly a garble
Even if dome ports increase depth of field there is a limit to where you can go so with a real tridimensional target you won't have the entire frame in focus
I have normally shot my MFT camera at aperture which had good peak sharpness and were not affected by diffraction generally anything more than f/11 was forbidden unless required by a specific situation. This still gave me plenty of depth of field
Now with a full frame camera shooting at f/8 f/11 to get the lens peak performance the drop in sharpness due to depth of field (nothing to do with domes etc etx) is very strong and I did not buy a 50 megapixel camera to shoot it at f/16 and produce at best 20 megapixels on the other hand I find annoying that there is such a drop between the areas in focus and those out of focus as my eye is trained to get a certain type of shot
As a paradox I am finding full frame much more rewarding for video where the larger sensor means being able to shoot ISO 4000 and no noise
I am not sure if this is time to reeducate myself or just shoot at f/16 and forego the extra 30 megapixels I just gained
This post is an hyperbole but I am interested in view points from fellow shooters


