Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam trigger button problem (Sony new 5n)

Started by kalani ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam trigger button problem (Sony new 5n)

2 posts
  1. Hello,

    I actually have a problem with my Nauticam housing for my Sony New 5n.

    When I press the trigger button, it stays "pressed" and it doesn't come back at its initial position.

    Maybe a spring problem? In fact, the spring seems very loose and I don't know if it's normal.

    Do yo have an idea in order to understand where the problem comes from?

    If you have a housing with the same trigger mechanism, can you please post a photo or video in order to compare with a housing that works normally?

    It is a 10 years old housing. So, I think that if I send it to a shop to be repaired it will cost more than the actual price of the housing used..

    Thank you for your help.

    Here is a video showing the problem :

     

     

  2. Going by what I can see the spring has lost tension - I would think it should have some tension and be pushing against the the button return a little bit at least.  It does seem rather slow in the last bit probably as the tension is not enough to push it back fully

    First I would check that the lever moves freely, use a tool to pull the spring away from the lever on the LHS and see that the lever moves relatively freely,   if it does I think your only real solution is a new spring - it wouldn't hurt to enquire with a service company to see if you can buy the spring, looks like it would be easy to fit.

    Otherwise you could try adding a spacer to the spring arm on the RHS, something that will prevent it going all the way to the side of the housing.  You could try using a screw driver between the spring arm on the RHS and the housing wall to see if adds enough tension to get the return working properly before you try to modify anything.

    You could also looks for torsion springs of about the right size online, an example is this spring here, you would need to measure the ID/OD of your spring and wire dia, probably want 180° free deflection model:  https://www.smallparts.com.au/store/item/ts064l254076180s2/?v=9867

    Look around on google to find a supplier that seems to match your springs dimensions.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.