Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Video, Komodo, May 2023

Started by WK's Gone Diving ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Video, Komodo, May 2023

9 posts
  1. I will be there in a few weeks...

    I didn't see a lot of manta clips - were they not around when you were diving in the north?

  2. 9 hours ago, oneyellowtang said:

    I will be there in a few weeks...

    I didn't see a lot of manta clips - were they not around when you were diving in the north?

    There are no mantas in the video, only mobular.

     

    I did not dive Manta Alley but I did do a drift dive at Taka Makassar and did not see any mantas.

  3. @WK's Gone Diving

    Our last time diving Komodo we say mantas on a few different dive sites (not just Manta Alley), hence why I asked.

     

  4. 18 hours ago, oneyellowtang said:

    @WK's Gone Diving

    Our last time diving Komodo we say mantas on a few different dive sites (not just Manta Alley), hence why I asked.

     

    We lucked out at the 3 or 4 dive sites that mantas can be seen at.

  5. On 5/24/2023 at 4:11 AM, WK's Gone Diving said:

    Please feel free to critique my latest video.

     

    Diving Komodo, May 2023

    Hi! Looks like you had a wonderful trip! Love the variety in creatures, and your choise of music and use of sound effects! My biggest criticism would be that some shots were out of focus, i personally would have left those out. Which camera did you use?

  6. 5 hours ago, Roberto101 said:

    Hi! Looks like you had a wonderful trip! Love the variety in creatures, and your choise of music and use of sound effects! My biggest criticism would be that some shots were out of focus, i personally would have left those out. Which camera did you use?

    Many thanks for your critique, which is much appreciated. All shots up to the selfie were done with a GoPro 11. All shots after the selfie were done with a Sony A1 using the 28-60mm lens.

    The A1 is still new and I am struggling with the issue of water condensing on the inside of the port glass as the camera gets hot. I am placing desiccant packets inside the housing and applying mask defog to the inside of the port glass to counter this issue. However, over-enthusiasm in applying mask defog has been detrimental to image quality.

    There is a blurry shot of a grey reef shark in the video. I believe this accurately low light and bad viz conditions that prevailed when that shot was captured. I included this shot because, ultimately, the video is a reflection of my holiday experience which included diving in low light and bad viz conditions.

    Doing macro with the A1 using the 28-60mm lens is a new ares of exploration for me, and out of focus macro images has resulted from my carelessness and lack of understanding about the minimum focusing distance of the lens. For example, not being aware that the minimum focusing distance increases when I zoom from 28mm to 60mm has resulted in some out of focus shots when I focus at 28mm then zoom in to 60mm as I compose the shot. Hopefully these focusing errors will reduce as I get more proficient with the camera and alter workflow to compose then focus.

    With regard to macro, I am thinking of adding a wet close up or macro lens with a minimum working distance of at least 6 inches. Do you have a suggestion?

     

  7. 3 hours ago, WK's Gone Diving said:

    Many thanks for your critique, which is much appreciated. All shots up to the selfie were done with a GoPro 11. All shots after the selfie were done with a Sony A1 using the 28-60mm lens.

    The A1 is still new and I am struggling with the issue of water condensing on the inside of the port glass as the camera gets hot. I am placing desiccant packets inside the housing and applying mask defog to the inside of the port glass to counter this issue. However, over-enthusiasm in applying mask defog has been detrimental to image quality.

    There is a blurry shot of a grey reef shark in the video. I believe this accurately low light and bad viz conditions that prevailed when that shot was captured. I included this shot because, ultimately, the video is a reflection of my holiday experience which included diving in low light and bad viz conditions.

    Doing macro with the A1 using the 28-60mm lens is a new ares of exploration for me, and out of focus macro images has resulted from my carelessness and lack of understanding about the minimum focusing distance of the lens. For example, not being aware that the minimum focusing distance increases when I zoom from 28mm to 60mm has resulted in some out of focus shots when I focus at 28mm then zoom in to 60mm as I compose the shot. Hopefully these focusing errors will reduce as I get more proficient with the camera and alter workflow to compose then focus.

    With regard to macro, I am thinking of adding a wet close up or macro lens with a minimum working distance of at least 6 inches. Do you have a suggestion?

     

    Hey WK, we almost have the same set :) and scary to read you had so much problems with condensation of the housing! I had no such problems whatsoever, I think your water was a lot warmer than in Egypt where i was. The A1 ofcourse should be a very capable camera, but fog can sure ruin that for you. Did you keep your housing in a airconditioned room before going diving with it?

    I also use the 28-60mm, but have also not jumped in the realm of macro, as I was also still exploring the housing, buttons, bouyancy etc. I did notice also the minimum focus distance is not great, which resulted in a fair amount of nudi shots thrown away. I own the Inon UCL-165 from my previous set which i did try out above the water, and that let's you focus a whole lot closer to subjects. The magnification is not insane so no nudibranch nosehairs I believe, but I think you could nicely fill a frame with one :)

  8. On 5/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, Roberto101 said:

    Hey WK, we almost have the same set :) and scary to read you had so much problems with condensation of the housing! I had no such problems whatsoever, I think your water was a lot warmer than in Egypt where i was. The A1 ofcourse should be a very capable camera, but fog can sure ruin that for you. Did you keep your housing in a airconditioned room before going diving with it?

    I also use the 28-60mm, but have also not jumped in the realm of macro, as I was also still exploring the housing, buttons, bouyancy etc. I did notice also the minimum focus distance is not great, which resulted in a fair amount of nudi shots thrown away. I own the Inon UCL-165 from my previous set which i did try out above the water, and that let's you focus a whole lot closer to subjects. The magnification is not insane so no nudibranch nosehairs I believe, but I think you could nicely fill a frame with one :)

    Hi.

    The condensation issue is not bad. Just put in some desiccant under the camera tray and apply some mask defog to the inside of the port glass. I just happened to screw up with this on the trip. The camera table on the boat was not air conditioned.

    Yes, I am looking at a wet lens. Will have a think about the UXL-165.

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.