Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Malpelo Lens Suggestions

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Malpelo Lens Suggestions

9 posts
  1. I will be in Malpelo mid june. Not many hammerns but plenty of fish shoals

    My plan is to take

    Sony 28-60 and 28 Prime with WWL-1

    Tamron 17-28 20-40 and Sonyu 24-70 with 180mm dome

    I am not planning to take a fisheye as there is not really any coral or CFWA

    Anybody who has been there would like to comment I would appreciate it

  2. @Interceptor121

    I dove Malpelo ~15 years ago in early June... we encountered several large schools of hammerheads, but either well above us, or out in the blue, but things may have changed. We also had two fleeting whale shark sightings. Lots of silkies, and we did find a few sand tiger sharks. 

    This was part of a combined trip with Cocos. We left after 3.5 days because the conditions were really rough (there is very little protection from swells or weather at Malpelo).





     

  3. 14 minutes ago, oneyellowtang said:

    @Interceptor121

    I dove Malpelo ~15 years ago in early June... we encountered several large schools of hammerheads, but either well above us, or out in the blue, but things may have changed. We also had two fleeting whale shark sightings. Lots of silkies, and we did find a few sand tiger sharks. 

    This was part of a combined trip with Cocos. We left after 3.5 days because the conditions were really rough (there is very little protection from swells or weather at Malpelo).





     

    Interesting. I have seen a few videos shot in June. I do not think I will miss the fisheye and zoom lenses are required.

    I have just checked the packing and I have 25 Kg to fill up so I could actually also take the fisheye with the TC but somehow I do not think this is worth it

  4. I have an EM5iii and used my 12-40mm exclusively and found this to be a very nice compromise, l went in April 2022 and dropped a report and some pics on here, back again Jan 2024 as I enjoyed it so much

  5. I have an EM5iii and used my 12-40mm exclusively and found this to be a very nice compromise, l went in April 2022 and dropped a report and some pics on here, back again Jan 2024 as I enjoyed it so much

    I remember your post as after I booked mine
    Your video is no longer available when I click on the link
    I am going in June and my target are actually fish schools and bait balls I am aware hammerhead are better seen in the colder water of dry season
    Because of the schools (several videos shot in June) and better visibility am tending more towards wwl-1 fisheye however I just bought a peak design camera cube and will be taking essentially any wide angle lens I have as I have 10 kg plus personal item, 23 kg standard luggage and 1 sport equipment item


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Hope you enjoy the trip, link here again (hopefully it works) and this video is a combi of my stills and diving buddies on the trip using Go Pros

     

     

    Malpelo_0369.jpeg

    Malpelo_0366.jpeg

    Malpelo_0576.jpeg

  7. 17 minutes ago, grahamz said:

    Hope you enjoy the trip, link here again (hopefully it works) and this video is a combi of my stills and diving buddies on the trip using Go Pros

     

     

    Malpelo_0369.jpeg

    Malpelo_0366.jpeg

    Malpelo_0576.jpeg

    For me this is fisheye territory for schoold while the sharks need some zoom

    I am going with WWL-1 and zoom lens which is wider than your lens but narrower at the zoomed end except it is distorted

  8. Hello ,

    I was in Malpelo   15-24  April 2023 . 

    I shot with Canon 80D  with  Canon FE 8-15 mm    ,  in this trip I used  at 15 mm   for  shark ,   Seacam 160D  strobe .

    The  problem is  to approach  the  shark    if  you want to light them   , so  I found  the  Canon FE at 15 mm on my cropped  sensor  the  good  solution .

    Be  aware  El Niño is  coming  , we  do not found  the  famous  hammerhead wall  in the  shallow ...  they  are  always deep  (  35-40 mm )  ,  just few  individual  .  Water temp  :  27 ° C  till  28-30 m  ;  22° C  at 35 m .

    Fantastic  experience  anyway  ,  hope  you will have  more luck .

    all my best

    Paolo Isgro

    here some shot   (  more  in my Flickr gallery   :  

    Malpelo - April 2023_MG_7961

     

    _MG_8038

     

    _MG_8382-Modifica-2

     

     

    _MG_8312

     

     

    _MG_7981

     

    _MG_8273

     

     

    _MG_7863

     

     

    _MG_7928

     

     

    _MG_8386

     

     

    _MG_8226

     

  9. Hello ,
    I was in Malpelo   15-24  April 2023 . 
    I shot with Canon 80D  with  Canon FE 8-15 mm    ,  in this trip I used  at 15 mm   for  shark ,   Seacam 160D  strobe .
    The  problem is  to approach  the  shark    if  you want to light them   , so  I found  the  Canon FE at 15 mm on my cropped  sensor  the  good  solution .
    Be  aware  El Niño is  coming  , we  do not found  the  famous  hammerhead wall  in the  shallow ...  they  are  always deep  (  35-40 mm )img][img]img][img]img][img]  ,  just few  individual  .  Water temp  :  27 ° C  till  28-30 m  ;  22° C  at 35 m .
    Fantastic  experience  anyway  ,  hope  you will have  more luck .
    all my best
    Paolo Isgro
    here some shot   (  more  in my Flickr gallery   :  
    a><a href=https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52856434164_2561ee6449_b.jpg' alt='52856434164_2561ee6449_b.jpg'>  
    52910270750_c84b2384f4_b.jpg  
    52902434107_a41198de2b_b.jpg  
     
    52897993560_165fc1aed6_b.jpg  
     
    52875516850_0cbfeabd2c_b.jpg  
    52930292513_582777e918_b.jpg  
     
    52861616690_d463464227_b.jpg  
     
    52861448725_b0f209ef14_b.jpg  
     
    52874868030_2434a58c40_b.jpg  
     
    52875363018_4a0f6650fd_b.jpg  

    Thanks Paolo
    June is wet season not good for hammerheads. Water is 25 and thermocline is deep at 26 meters
    I am looking for fish schools and silky sharks which are there with warm water
    15x1.6 corresponds to my WWL-1 set up.
    For hammerheads you need to go January to March but that is not the purpose of this specific trip
    Thank you for your feedback


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.