Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Diopter for Sony Sony A1 and 28-60mm lens

Started by WK's Gone Diving ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Diopter for Sony Sony A1 and 28-60mm lens

7 posts
  1. On my most recent scuba expedition to Komodo, I did a few macro shots with the camera on autofocus at f/22 and found that the subjects were out of focus. I eventually worked out that I was getting too near the subects as the 28-60 has a minimum focus distance of 30cm at 28mm and 45mm at 60mm. I'm looking for a diopter that will reduce the minimum focus distance to about 15cm at 28mm and would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

  2. 1 hour ago, WK's Gone Diving said:

    On my most recent scuba expedition to Komodo, I did a few macro shots with the camera on autofocus at f/22 and found that the subjects were out of focus. I eventually worked out that I was getting too near the subects as the 28-60 has a minimum focus distance of 30cm at 28mm and 45mm at 60mm. I'm looking for a diopter that will reduce the minimum focus distance to about 15cm at 28mm and would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

    The Nauticam port chart has data for the CMC 1 and 2, with maximum magnification and working distances.  The INON UCL 67 and 90 will be close in performance to these lenses, the 67 is close to the CMC-1 in power and UCL90 is clsoe to CMC-2 .  The INON lenses are said to have a little more working distance than the equivalent Nauticam lens.  The port chart is here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZdmzFFvnhxQKK7nQ6n-AxS2-3lBeS1c1/view

    I would suggest to consider carefully what subjects you would like to shoot, the highest power lens might sound attractive, however it will be harder to use with less working distance and smaller range that is in focus.  The lower power lens will be easier to use.   The CMC-1 will allow shooting in the 0.9 - approx 0.7x which is a relatively narrow range the CMC-2 has about double the working range, with max magnification being about 0.7x.

  3. 13 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    The Nauticam port chart has data for the CMC 1 and 2, with maximum magnification and working distances.  The INON UCL 67 and 90 will be close in performance to these lenses, the 67 is close to the CMC-1 in power and UCL90 is clsoe to CMC-2 .  The INON lenses are said to have a little more working distance than the equivalent Nauticam lens.  The port chart is here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZdmzFFvnhxQKK7nQ6n-AxS2-3lBeS1c1/view

    I would suggest to consider carefully what subjects you would like to shoot, the highest power lens might sound attractive, however it will be harder to use with less working distance and smaller range that is in focus.  The lower power lens will be easier to use.   The CMC-1 will allow shooting in the 0.9 - approx 0.7x which is a relatively narrow range the CMC-2 has about double the working range, with max magnification being about 0.7x.

    Many thanks. I was looking for a lower power lens that allows me to approach the subject closer. The A1 has sufficient Megapixels that allows a 1.5x crop and an additional 1.5x clear image zoom and still have sufficient pixels for 4K video. So I'm not really looking for magnification. The CMC-2 looks to be the right lens for me.

  4. 45 minutes ago, WK's Gone Diving said:

    Many thanks. I was looking for a lower power lens that allows me to approach the subject closer. The A1 has sufficient Megapixels that allows a 1.5x crop and an additional 1.5x clear image zoom and still have sufficient pixels for 4K video. So I'm not really looking for magnification. The CMC-2 looks to be the right lens for me.

    You could also consider a +5/+6 diopter like the INON UCL-167 if you only want a little bit of magnification.  The CMC-2 will cover a region 51 x 34mm at maximum magnification and at minimum there  is no data published but going by the working distance range it might be around 120 x 80mm for about 0.3x, possibly a little wider.

  5. 2 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    You could also consider a +5/+6 diopter like the INON UCL-167 if you only want a little bit of magnification.  The CMC-2 will cover a region 51 x 34mm at maximum magnification and at minimum there  is no data published but going by the working distance range it might be around 120 x 80mm for about 0.3x, possibly a little wider.

    Many thanks. I'll have a look at the INON as well.

  6. Subsee +5 is good for video you are shooting at 15-20 cm which can be done handheld in certain situations
    More requires some form of tripod


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. On 6/2/2023 at 2:33 PM, Interceptor121 said:

    Subsee +5 is good for video you are shooting at 15-20 cm which can be done handheld in certain situations
    More requires some form of tripod


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thanks

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.