Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

From Nikon D850 to Z8

Started by scipionems ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

From Nikon D850 to Z8

19 posts
  1. Hi ,

    Actually I use a Nikon D850 with these lenses:

    1) Nikon 8-15mm fisheye 

    2) Nikon 60mm macro (for Black water dives)

    3) Sigma 105mm macro lens (with Subsea +10 Wet Lens)

    4) Nikkor 28-70mm with WACP-C NAUTICAM.

    Now I am thinking to switch from D850 to Nikon Z8, but I wonder if I will be able to use my lenses with the FTZ Adapter....or not.

    Do you know which lens I will be able to use ?

    Thank in advance for any suggestion.

     

  2. You can use any lenses with a built in AF motor but not screw drive lenses, they can't AF with the Z bodies and adapter.  Of your list the Nikon 28-70 cannot AF, the others I can't say off hand.  Believe it is the AF-D lenses which are screw drive.  I believe there are several varieties of sigma 105mm macro lens, so we would need to know which one.

  3. My understanding is that all those DSLR lenses have no problem working on Nikon’s mirrorless bodies when coupled with the FTZ adapter. From there, the problem is due to the camera’s own auto focusing limitations. As for the Z8, beyond the improved 4K and 8K video capabilities over a D850, what are you looking for that your D850 is providing you now?

     

  4. 40 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    You can use any lenses with a built in AF motor but not screw drive lenses, they can't AF with the Z bodies and adapter.  Of your list the Nikon 28-70 cannot AF, the others I can't say off hand.  Believe it is the AF-D lenses which are screw drive.  I believe there are several varieties of sigma 105mm macro lens, so we would need to know which one.

    ChrisRoss thank you very much for the answer.

    My 105 Sigma is the 105mm F/2,8 Macro DG OS HSM , it is an old lens ... but I think it has an ultrasonic AF (RING USM)... this one https://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=it&t=sigma_105macro_os

    I hope that at least this Sigma will work .... 

    Thanks again.

    Edited by scipionems
  5. 38 minutes ago, Walt Stearns said:

     

    My understanding is that all those DSLR lenses have no problem working on Nikon’s mirrorless bodies when coupled with the FTZ adapter. From there, the problem is due to the camera’s own auto focusing limitations. As for the Z8, beyond the improved 4K and 8K video capabilities over a D850, what are you looking for that your D850 is providing you now?

     

    You are right Walt Stearns, actually I am really satisfied by my D850 for pictures.

    I am only "thinking" to switch from D850 to Z8... the new Ai tracking AF and the advanced video capabilities of the Z8 are intriguing me ....

    But I am not sure for the problems connected to lenses, dome ports and extensions ring ....

    I am looking for informations... 

    Thank you

  6. 9 hours ago, scipionems said:

    You are right Walt Stearns, actually I am really satisfied by my D850 for pictures.

    I am only "thinking" to switch from D850 to Z8... the new Ai tracking AF and the advanced video capabilities of the Z8 are intriguing me ....

    But I am not sure for the problems connected to lenses, dome ports and extensions ring ....

    I am looking for informations... 

    Thank you

    The way it is setup the camera sits further back in the housing so that when the FYZ adapter is attached then the flange is at the same position with respect to the ports and zoom control, so you use the exact same ports,extension rings  and focus gears as you do in the D850 housing.

  7. 22 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    The way it is setup the camera sits further back in the housing so that when the FYZ adapter is attached then the flange is at the same position with respect to the ports and zoom control, so you use the exact same ports,extension rings  and focus gears as you do in the D850 housing.

    Thank you Chris Ross.

    So if the autofocus works with some of my lenses, I will be able to use them with the same dome or port and extension ring that I already have... good to know.

    I have to discover exactly which lens works or not.... 

    Thanks again 

  8. On 6/7/2023 at 6:36 AM, scipionems said:

    Hi ,

    Actually I use a Nikon D850 with these lenses:

    1) Nikon 8-15mm fisheye 

    2) Nikon 60mm macro (for Black water dives)

    3) Sigma 105mm macro lens (with Subsea +10 Wet Lens)

    4) Nikkor 28-70mm with WACP-C NAUTICAM.

    Now I am thinking to switch from D850 to Nikon Z8, but I wonder if I will be able to use my lenses with the FTZ Adapter....or not.

    Do you know which lens I will be able to use ?

    Thank in advance for any suggestion.

     

    If it helps any, when I went from a D850 to a Z9 (with Nauticam housings), I still used my 230mm dome port, but I had to shorten the extension from 90mm to 50mm.  On the D850 I was shooting a 16-35.  On the Z9, a 14-30.      I also shoot the 105 macro, and I had to change the port for it for the z-mount version.   I've not tried the FTZ, but Nauticam says it is compatible/supported.

  9. 3 hours ago, scipionems said:

    Thank you Chris Ross.

    So if the autofocus works with some of my lenses, I will be able to use them with the same dome or port and extension ring that I already have... good to know.

    I have to discover exactly which lens works or not.... 

    Thanks again 

    It's been documented on a number of posts here that the 28-70 nikon lens is screw drive as does not AF on the FTZ adapter and there's been discussions about alternative lenses to use with Nikon Z and WACP.

  10. Hi everyone,
    Those considering the Z8 might be interested in the review I just wrote of the Nikon Z9, in temperate / low viz waters.

    Condensed version on DPG: https://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/temperate-waters-nikon-z9-nauticam-housing

    Long version with all explanations on my testing procedure, including side-by-side autofocus comparison with a Nikon D500:
    https://theunderwaterclub.com/review-the-nikon-z9-and-nauticam-na-z9-housing/

    Let me know if any questions.
    Nicolas


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. 47 minutes ago, Nicool said:

    Hi everyone,
    Those considering the Z8 might be interested in the review I just wrote of the Nikon Z9, in temperate / low viz waters.

    Condensed version on DPG: https://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/temperate-waters-nikon-z9-nauticam-housing

    Long version with all explanations on my testing procedure, including side-by-side autofocus comparison with a Nikon D500:
    https://theunderwaterclub.com/review-the-nikon-z9-and-nauticam-na-z9-housing/

    Let me know if any questions.
    Nicolas


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thank you Nicolas for the info on the Z9.

    Perhaps do you have the opportunity to use the WACP-C with the Z9 and with which kind of lens ?...Actually I use the Nikon D850 with the old Nikkor 28-70mm lens and the WACP-C, but it seems that this lens is unusable with the Nikon Z8 or Z9....

    Perhaps do you know which kind of lens it is possible to use with the Z8-Z9 and the WACP-C ?..

    Thanks again 

    Scipione

    Edited by scipionems
  12. Thank you Nicolas for the info on the Z9.
    Perhaps do you have the opportunity to use the WACP-C with the Z9 and with which kind of lens ?...Actually I use the Nikon D850 with the old Nikkor 28-70mm lens and the WACP-C, but it seems that this lens is unusable with the Nikon Z8 or Z9....
    Perhaps do you know which kind of lens it is possible to use with the Z8-Z9 and the WACP-C ?..
    Thanks again 
    Scipione

    Hi Scipione,
    The old 28-70 isn’t usable for the reason mentioned by Chris.
    I haven’t tried the WACP with Z9 so far, but if I did it would probably be with the 28-75mm Nikon F/2.8 (ref WACP port chart). Note this is usable only on the wider end of the range (28-50).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. 8 minutes ago, Nicool said:


    Hi Scipione,
    The old 28-70 isn’t usable for the reason mentioned by Chris.
    I haven’t tried the WACP with Z9 so far, but if I did it would probably be with the 28-75mm Nikon F/2.8 (ref WACP port chart). Note this is usable only on the wider end of the range (28-50).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thank you again for precious the info Nicolas.

    So if I would switch from my D850 to Z8, I have to change surely and the Nikkor 28-70mm and (probably) the Sigma 105mm macro...

    Ok perfect.... thanks again to all for the info.

    Scipione

  14. @ChrisRoss @Nicool is there a comprehensive list of the Z9 and fisheye options?

    Currently with my D500, I'm able to use the 1.4x Kenko + Tokina 10-17, which gives me the nice zoom range, but can also cater for close focus wide angle macro.

    I wonder if the 1.4x Kenko (DG, not DGX) + Nikon 8-15 will give a usable zoom range? Or are there other, similarly priced options, that will allow for a better close focus wide angle setup with the Z series?

     

    I'm aware the comparison would be something like this, is that fair to say?

    image.thumb.png.88e03d94737e1b74f4fd4c563c531e2f.png

    Edited by sinetwo
  15. I think the FCP and Nikon Z 24-50mm (using it 28-50mm) will do it all, when the FCP is ready. Big zoom range, small dome, focus to the dome, super sharp, great edge sharpness. 

  16. 28 minutes ago, Alex_Mustard said:

    I think the FCP and Nikon Z 24-50mm (using it 28-50mm) will do it all, when the FCP is ready. Big zoom range, small dome, focus to the dome, super sharp, great edge sharpness. 

    I saw your story about road testing it. Can't wait to hear about your impressions! My only reason for considering an 8-15 would be for split shots, the conversion ports are fantastic for everything but split shots.

  17. 4 hours ago, sinetwo said:

    @ChrisRoss @Nicool is there a comprehensive list of the Z9 and fisheye options?

    Currently with my D500, I'm able to use the 1.4x Kenko + Tokina 10-17, which gives me the nice zoom range, but can also cater for close focus wide angle macro.

    I wonder if the 1.4x Kenko (DG, not DGX) + Nikon 8-15 will give a usable zoom range? Or are there other, similarly priced options, that will allow for a better close focus wide angle setup with the Z series?

     

    I'm aware the comparison would be something like this, is that fair to say?

    image.thumb.png.88e03d94737e1b74f4fd4c563c531e2f.png

    The 8-15 plus 1.4x is good between a zoom setting of 11 and 15 mm giving focal lengths from 15 to 21mm.  11mm is where the last of vignette from the circular fisheye disappears.  Not quite the reach of the 10-17 but it's the best currently available for a full frame camera.   In the WACP world there is the Nikon Z 24-70 and adapted Sony 28-70 lens usable from 28mm focal length.  To compare them you can use this table.  it includes the horizontal and vertical fields as well as the diagonal - it assumes a fisheye type projection for the WACP:

    image.png.05a1e1597f349c493ffc8a1c2b93f72a.png

    You can see the WACP takes up where the 8-15 finishes with a slight overlap.  The WACP is closer to a 16-35 in field of view.  They are not interchangeable of course and are used for different purposes, the WACP has fisheye type distortion but doesn't quite have the in your face impact of the full fisheye.  I included the FCP - based upon the assumption that at 28mm it achieves full fisheye field equivalent to the 8-15 at 15mm.   It doesn't have the reach of the WACP at 70mm but it should give the same zoom range as the 10-17mm more or less 1.78x vs 1.7x. 

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  18. 10 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    image.png.05a1e1597f349c493ffc8a1c2b93f72a.png

    Thanks Chris, that's certainly useful and food for thought. I think based on the above, and because of the potential for a future Z8 housing with the associated megapixels, perhaps the most flexible is the 8-15 fisheye with a 1.4x teleconverter and using DX mode if necessary. WhilstI'd love to go with a WACP/FCP, my issue with that is that I'd need a fisheye lens in addition to the set up, with a large dome port for splits on trips.

     

    Meaning:

    Z8 + FTZ:

    • 60mm
    • 105mm
    • Zoom lens + conversion dome port
    • Fisheye lens + large dome port

    But with the fisheye lens I can get away with:

    • 60mm
    • 105mm
    • Fisheye lens + TC + large dome port + small dome port

    It might seem like I'm scrapping over details, but it helps me considerably given that my current set up allows me most of my camera gear in my carry on :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.