Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

new plan - diving in St Thomas?

Started by phxazcraig ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

new plan - diving in St Thomas?

3 posts
  1. OK, I had a plan to get my daughter PADI certified, then take her to a pacific island to visit a US National park (one of her goals) and then to dive together (one of my goals).   That idea crashed hard when I discovered the Northern Marianas Islands did not have a US National Park, which I'd thought for years for some reason it had.   My other location was American Samoa, which fortunately does indeed have a US National Park.  But the weather for that is better in the summer, so it's a year out.

    But I've already bought plane tickets to Roatan in December for daughter (and her friend) to get certified there.  So she's going to be diving!

    Now I need someplace to dive in January that has a US National Park, which needs to be one that daughter hasn't been too.

    Which brings me to St. Thomas.  It has a park, you can dive off the island, and it's easier and cheaper to get to than NMI.   So I'm looking for recommendations on where to stay, and who to dive with, and where the diving is good.   I have to say that I've been there 3 times diving, all from cruise ship stops, and I was disappointed.  All the dives were murky, and that's what I associate diving in St Thomas with.   I've not been there in January though, in case the water is clearer then.

    I'll have my non-diving fiance with me, so need someplace with nearby activities for her.  (In Roatan, she ends up stuck on a cay without much to do.)  For the diving, it needs to accommodate a brand new diver, possibly two.   For me, I want there to be something to photograph and clear water.

    Any info on flights is welcome too.  I prefer United Airlines, flying out of Houston.

  2. I have been diving in St. Thomas twice.  First from a cruise ship stop, which was disappointing.  Most of the dive shops that operate boats cater to the cruise ship clientelle, and they tend to focus on a few spots on the south side of the island.  Diving is okay there, but not great. 

    This summer, I decided to do some research and reached out to several dive shops.  I ended up picking the north east cornerof the island off Coki beach and had some great shore entry dives.  Shore entry only here, and there is a small dive shop at Coki beach that can provide tanks and guides if needed.  The best dives are to the east of the dive shop, following the wall to the "traps" (old abandoned lobster traps and some kind of large pipe structure that I believe serves as a water supply for the adjacent "Coral World") -- see picture. Night dives on the eastern side were really good.  I got caught in the middle of a massive bait ball at night that was being "organized" by a predator I never did see. The silversides were so dense I could barely see (picture). 

    It is not Bonaire, but really improved diving versus the boat dives from the southern side of the island IMHO.  There are some nice grassy areas with lots of interesting critters, coral in good condition, lots of structure along the wall.

    Be aware that the current in that area (especially going east) can be very strong.  I talked to a couple of divemasters at the shop who told me that they have had a few rescues of folks who ventured too far east and ended up getting pushed out to the channel between St Thomas and St. John.  The dive shop will require a flag at all times and may require you to do a checkout dive before letting you go east.  If going past the lobster traps / pipe they may require you go with a guide.  Given that your daughter is a new diver, depending on your level of training and experience you might consider hiring a DM from the shop.  They were fairly strict on my first couple of dives, and the flag is a PIA when you are trying to take pictures, but a necessary evil given the apparently strong and unpredictable current.  

    The dive shop will tell you the diving to the west wall is also great, but I did not see anywhere near as much as compared to the eastern side.  YMMV.

    DSC_4675.jpg

    DSC_4681.jpg

    DSC_4709.jpg

  3. Also, for your "future" dive list, US national parks for diving:

    American Samoa

    Dry Tortugas (access via Key West operators with permits)

    Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (gulf coast, requires overnight boat trip)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.