Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

DIY colorwheel?

Started by sinetwo ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

DIY colorwheel?

4 posts
  1. Feeling somewhat inspired by Enrico Somogyi's setup, I wanted to see if anyone had done a DIY colorwheel for their torches like his?

    image.thumb.png.9729bdbf349b85b37014717ff999118e.png

    One way of easily doing it is by:

    1. Taking your torch, applying electrical tape as a layer to space out

    2. Aligning the centre hole of a ventilation disc (pic below), add filters, add another ventilation disc

    3. bolt/washer

    4. electrical tape to secure

    5. optionally a hose clamp to finish it off

     

    Any thoughts on this, has anyone done this before? My main issue is really finding something that replicates a "torch mount" with a hole, so one can bolt through and secure the colorwheel.

     

    Below is a picture of what I intend to use, and second to that is an example of what I would love to get a hold of, but not sure where to begin (I don't have access to a 3D printer, but I have access to a drill press)

    image.png.427cc6811320c7f685483a3d023e502a.pngimage.png.e279bee465c05aaeac67cbec769785ba.png

  2. Well, the obvious path would be using a 3D Print, so I will assume you don't have one, or access to one? Then if you want to find a ready-made to adapt, I would go down to the best cycle shop as there are loads of clamping devices that are made for attaching apparatus to handle bars and posts. Or you could fashion your design, which seems not so complex, out of a thermoplastic lump, plexi, or even fine grained wood using a scroll saw. Heck - if you don't mind square edges you could do it with just a drill.

     

    One observation, if you don't mind... I suggest the top of your circle in your design should be cut across to create a 'jaw' so that a tensile/compression load can be put on your flashlight. Also your reference photo shows the apparatus and the flashlight held at two points... when handling the apparatus, some flashlight designs may unscrew the head from battery compartment, so you might want to watch out for that.

     

    You could even do this with zip ties - good luck!

  3. @polyroly my friend actually has a 3d printer, so he made me some! I'll post some from my trip in a few weeks time!

     

    But I will definitely get a 3d printer, il pay for itself with custom zoom gears for sure. 

  4. Also I think the easiest way to make this,outside of 3d printing, is certainly plexi, so that's a really good idea.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.