Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Is Scoot Air really as bad as the reviews?

Started by toque ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Is Scoot Air really as bad as the reviews?

14 posts
  1. I'm looking to go to Manado next spring and it looks like Scoot is the only choice out of Singapore, but the internet reviews are terrible. Especially lately it seems. Anyone had any recent experiences to share? The only other alternatives is to fly through Jakarta or Bali and that raises the cost significantly. TIA

  2. Air to Manado is mostly thru Singapore or Jakarta. Manado is now a very popular dive destination, crowded with European, Asian and America's divers. Singapore flights to Manado, and back, are via Scoot Air.
    Scoot Air, I believe, is owned by Singapore Air.

    In December I flew Scoot from Singapore to Manado and back, about 4 air hours each way. The flights were on time, but crowded, with only one class, cabin. Almost all seats, except 2 or 3, were filled. Seats are uncomfortable with no knee room, and I had to ask the guy in front of me not to recline his seat. As there are only four direct flights Singapore to Manado, and back, per week, expect the plane to be be packed. A larger airplane, or more flights per week, might help.  

    In closing, given the crowded diving sites accessible from Manado, such as Lembeh, to me Philippines diving is preferable, as its many more dive sites  and resorts, such as those of Anilao, have better, and more varied, diving.
    =

     

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. More on Scoot Airlines, this about the flights out of Japan, but it applies also to the flights out of Singapore. This is an independent review out of Sanspotter. 
    https://www.sanspotter.com/scoot-airlines-review/

    "Pros and cons of Scoot Airlines economy. Scoot doesn’t have a premium seating option, so technically, every seat on every one of the planes is considered to be “economy” class. 

    Pros

    • Flying scoot is a bargain. Scoot is a fantastically nice budget option when compared to the major airlines. From what I recall, this flight was half the price compared to what Japan Airlines and ANA we’re asking.
    • As an American used to flying US airlines, the politeness and generosity of the Scoot cabin crew was mind-blowing. They offered to help me stowe my backpack. One offered me an in-flight magazine when she realized that the one in my seat back pocket was missing. When’s the last time you’ve had that kind of experience on a Spirit Airlines flight?
    • The particular A320 that I was on was spotless. That says a lot considering how hard Scoot runs their airplanes, and I was more than impressed.

    Cons

    • Just like every other ultra low-cost carrier in the world, they charge extra for everything. That $136 fare could’ve ballooned into something massive if I would’ve paid for even more upgrades than I did.
    • Everything you’ve heard about the food on Scoot Airlines is true. It sucks. It was arguably the most disgusting meal that I’ve ever eaten on an airplane, and I’ll never forget the feeling of peeling back the cover and feeling the need to gag slightly. To make matters worse, I had to pay an extra $11 for that meal.
    • You can’t check in online if you’re flying out of Narita. Seriously? I’m not sure how they determined that NRT flights are ineligible for online check-in, but it was especially annoying having to obtain a boarding pass after arriving on an international flight from the US. "
      = end =
    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  4. thanks for the response. yes, this is singapore air's budget wing. i flew silkair in the past on this route and they sound like they are about the same. i'm not expecting much, it being only about 4hrs. just hope to get my luggage and get to and from without any cancellations. I have done the philippines in the past and love the diving, but i've become fond of a package thats offered by murex group (sp?) called "passport to paradise" it really gives you a varied dive experience. 3 very different resorts and dive experiences totally customizable and the best part is (other than some of the diving)on the days that you move to the next resort you go diving while they move your luggage and at the end of the days diving you return to a different resort. my wife also is much happier on their more modern boats than in the philippines. 

  5. An alternative is to fly using garuda airline. Which has improved leaps and bounds throughout the years. They also have a 'sport equipment' baggage that is free on top of the std fare (luggage include). But they will flu out of Singapore and have a layover at Jakarta for 1 hour to a few hours. With food included on board.

     

    Singaporean usually still use scoot to fly out to manado. As its direct. My advice when booking is to get the flight with baggage. Then also book the seats with extra legroom immediately. There is a row of seats that is at the emergency exit row that the front seat can't recline. default_smile.png

     

    There is no need to book a meal as u can get decent food at the singapore airport that is quite decent. I can still bring a snack on board the flight

     

    Typically, a photography trip that I book will be extra leg room (not a big guy, so Isometimese do without) with 40kg luggage.

     

    I thin the Philippines have good diving too, but the land travel time can be pretty long to imo the better place for diving comparable to lembeh ie. Anilao.

     

    I can understand the x hour it takes to get to singapore then sit on a sh#t flight for another few hours. But usually a nice break at the singapore airport helps....

     

    BTW... at singapore Airport.. u can check in early (up.to 5 hours) b4 your flight at a counter. That option is available for scoot flights.

     

     

    Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

     

     

     

     

  6. Just returning from a trip to Indonesia (on flight back to the US). 

    Few things to consider re: Scoot:
    1. It's the budget airline owned by Singapore Airlines (it competes with AirAsia). You should assume this means everything it implies, basic, all one class, free luggage is very limited, food is not good. 

    2. Having said this - depending on the schedule, if you can book your flight to Singapore on Singapore Airlines, you should be able to book the Manado leg on the same ticket, which means you can (sometimes) get your international luggage allowance to carry over (meaning you shouldn't have to pay for excess luggage (at least on the way to Manado).

    3. "Garuda is an option..." - having just flown Garuda on several flights (including Jakarta to Sarong [return] - one of the longer flights internal in Indonesia), Garuda has improved, however what is being recommended more within Indonesia (by the various liveaboard operators) in Batik Air. The downside is that this airline is owned by Lion Air, but the upside is that it is considered the boutique arm of Lion Air. They have a very affordable business class where they won't charge you overweight (within reason) for any of their flights, the food is reasonable, and they are mostly on time. I recently flew them on 3 separate occasions and was (somewhat) impressed (for flying within Indonesia). They are also flying much newer planes than Garuda.

    Flying from Jakarta means an extra short flight from Singapore, however you can catch the last evening flight from SIngapore to Jakarta and then take an early (~1:30AM) flight to Manado. The advantage of this is you will get to resort in Lembeh (for example) easily by lunch, and be set to dive on your arrival day (which with Scoot or previous Silk Air flights was quite hard to do). The Jakarta airport has much improved over the last 5+ years.

    In short:
    - Scoot is clean & safe, but very much a budget airline (by design)
    - Garuda is better than it was (but still not great)
    - Batik is surprisingly better than what one might expect from the Lion Air group.

  7. thanks. i think i'm ok with a budget airline for the couple of hours the direct flight is. just need to take a day in singapore to chill after the 15hr+ flight i'm coming off of. seems to me the singapore airport is pretty nice and lots of food options too. actually for me the flight there is easy because my excitement of getting there. i can always sleep on planes, hell my wife says i could sleep standing up in a closet. its the flight coming home that drags on forever.

  8. What is the carry-on situation with all of these options?  I recall with Garuda they did not bother anyone about their carry-ons, when I flew them domestically a few years back.

  9. As long as you follow the size requirements... usually there is no issues.

    Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

  10. I have now flown 4 times SIN-MDC-SIN on Scoot since covid. No problems at all, just dont expect much and its all good.

    I have always prebought 40kg of luggage. Never had carryon checked (i always have ThinkTank roller with 18kg).

    One tip for SIN-MDC leg is to book seat from the front of the plane. First 5 rows are quite expensive but from 6th row its like 5 SGD. This will help you in Manado with immigration. Unless you are happy with lining up and waiting.

    Also maybe book a meal (some are decent) since the time you get immigration done, bags collected and transfer to resort, its already close to 3pm and you have departed 9am.

     

  11. On 6/25/2023 at 1:55 AM, oneyellowtang said:



    3. "Garuda is an option..." - having just flown Garuda on several flights (including Jakarta to Sarong [return] - one of the longer flights internal in Indonesia), Garuda has improved, however what is being recommended more within Indonesia (by the various liveaboard operators) in Batik Air. The downside is that this airline is owned by Lion Air, but the upside is that it is considered the boutique arm of Lion Air. They have a very affordable business class where they won't charge you overweight (within reason) for any of their flights, the food is reasonable, and they are mostly on time. I recently flew them on 3 separate occasions and was (somewhat) impressed (for flying within Indonesia). They are also flying much newer planes than Garuda.
     

    A while ago (2014) I flew Garuda Business from SNG -> DPS -> HKG to do some diving after a business trip.   The cost differential over economy was not that high and removed any weight concerns on luggage.  Also had a great wine list - we burned through most of it.  

    I think your advice to look to business class in general is the right course in the developing nations regional airlines.   The price premium tends to feel reasonable by our notion of pricing.   

  12. Thanks for the interesting take. I flew Lionair to Manado the last time I was there. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. 

  13. I flew with Scoot from Singapore to/from Cebu (Philippines). For a short flight I don't mind budget service for a budget price. I did book 30kg checked bagage and they didn't check carry-on. I'll be flying Cebu to Jakarta via Singapore with them again this fall. Best timing and price.

    I agree that the Philippines is a great dive destination and very good value for money, especially if you are looking for a long-stay budget trip where most of your money goes to diving. For shorter stays Anilao is relatively easy to get to with a big international airport in Manila and an about 2-hour car transfer to your resort.

    More recently I have been making 7-week, 8-week and 12-week trips to Dauin on Negros Island, with 7 more weeks this fall. It is harder to get to and less well developed but they have great muck diving, a good shore reef in Dauin village, and a fantastic pristine reef at Apo Island, just a short boat ride from shore. I documented 790 different fish species there, including several believed to be new to science or never reported from the Philippines. That is just incredible.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.