Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Replace Sea & Sea YS-D2

Started by JeffKouba ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Replace Sea & Sea YS-D2

5 posts
  1. Hi!  I am interested in replacing my YS-D2 flash units.  One leaked on my last trip and I want to find an appropriate replacement set.  I do not use TTL.  Fiber optic cables have worked well for me so I need something compatible with them.  I use a Canon R7 in a Nauticam housing. 

    Any suggestions? 

  2. I take you don't want the YS-D3? I'd suggest some used Inon 330's if you can find them. Inon does not have new ones or a new model on the market yet, so that's one less new model strobe available. 

    If you are only shooting macro, the Backscatter MF2 is great, but not strong enough for serious wide angle work. Retra or Ikelite are the only other mainstream options right now, with a few smaller/newer brands on the fringes.

  3.  I use two Inon Z330-2 and am happy with them.  Problem is Inon is no longer making strobes , so they are had to find. 
    Aditech has some for sale, but pricey.     
    Or you can call Backscatter or Optical Ocean Sales in Seattle (1(800) 359-1295), and chat with them.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide upon.
  4. I’ve been using Retras for the last few years and really like them.  I upgraded to them from the Retra 240  

    The quality of the light is excellent, they are extremely well built, capable for macro and wide-angle. The firmware is upgradable through Bluetooth and the company issue updates periodically and have very responsive customer help. 

    One thing I like about them in particular is their ability to provide high speed sync (HSS). I find this terrific for those shots into the sun. 

    … and they use AA batteries so no additional chargers involved. 

  5. I'd say, if you're fine with buying used, get a pair of Inon Z-330s. If you have the budget, go for Retra Prime/Retra Pro. If you don't have the budget for Retras, but don't mind the bulk and weight, consider Scubalamp D-Pro (not the older D-MAX).

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.