A fervent olympus user for several years (yes, I got in on this digital thing back when you could count the number of megapixels on two fingers . . .), I finally bit the bullet and housed my land camera, a Canon EOS 10D. At the time, I decided to hold onto the old Oly -5050 rig: 1) because I trusted it (and I didn't trust myself with the 10D underwater at that point); then 2) because having a backup system seemed like a decent idea given that it really sucks to travel a long way to take pictures underwater and have your rig "go south" on you with nothing to fall back on. Now that I've made a couple trips with both, I've come to the realization that I've spent a lot of effort and money packing two systems with me when I only end up using the 10D. In other words, the Oly camera, Ike housing, and add-on lenses ended up staying dry the whole time. So, my question to you is this: do you think it's worth holding on to the "backup" rig any more or should I get out from under it whilst it still has some value one the used market? I thought about trading it in for a backup 10D body. However if the housing floods enough to kill the camera, the electronics in the housing probably aren't going to make it either. Maybe I should just buy a few more strobe arms and use the -5050 with the dome for wide-angle and leave the 10D set up for macro . . .
Mike
Hi Mike,
I have kept my old Tetra Housing and Olympus camera as a backup, and it has served me very well when my DSLR housing has crapped out. In fact, one of my favorite photos from this past year was taken with the old Tetra when the ROC controller in my Titan housing failed.
I always try to bring my backup camera and housing with me, and frequently loan it to my dive buddy or friends so it stays wet and working. This has also proved usefull when I have the big housing set up for Macro and a big Sixgill shark comes cruising by. I just "borrow" back the other camera (which is set up for wide angle), and am a very happy camper that I don't have to miss the opportunity.
Boydski
Mike,
If I had the funds to buy a backup system I probably would. Especially on long trips were the chance of flooding gets higher. My last two week trip to Bonaire I had my MMII-EX flood on me. Fortunately it was the second to last day of diving. I really wish I had a backup though as I find it hard to dive without a camera in hand.
Craig
Hi Mike,
My opinion is that you should sell the Oly setup and get another 10d body. If you flood the housing, you can be back in business with the new body, as long as you also buy a backup hotshoe/bulkhead kit and bring it with you.
A quick freshwater rinse for the housing, dry it off, then unscrew the bulkhead/hotshoe and replace and you're back in business. Don't ask me how I know this.
Cheers
James
OK, the -5050 rig is up for sale in the classifieds. If anyone is interested in some or all of it, let me know. I'm going to try to sell it all as a kit but may end up caving in and selling it oof piece by piece.