Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

How to ultralight travel with a housing?

Started by loki_racer ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

How to ultralight travel with a housing?

19 posts
  1. I just wrapped up a year living out of a 40L backpack, traveling the world.  Halfway through my trip, I picked up my scuba kit, including my Aquatica diving housing.  All my scuba kit fits inside a 40L duffel bag.  The only thing that doesn't fit is my dive housing.

    While traveling through the US on my final leg, TSA damaged my housing.  I was hand carrying it as my "personal item."  This is mainly to save weight in my bags, but also because of space.  I ran it through the xray machine.  The TSA agent pulled my stuff and wanted to go through it.  He went to grab the housing and snagged the shutter level on a bag strap.  It ended up breaking/popping off the E clip on the lever and pulling the lever halfway out of the housing.

    I'm headed to Madagascar in a few weeks.  I'll be going through 8 different security checks along the way (long story, long trip with stop-overs along the way).

    I'm nervous to hand carry my housing now.  How do others transport their diving housing?

  2. You're going to get a million answers!

    If you want to continue traveling relatively light-weight, perhaps a soft cool bag just for the housing and hand carry that?

    After that, folks will suggest all sorts of backpacks and roller boxes. If you want to go the cabin-sized roller box route, check out the Pelican 1510. That'll carry a fair bit of gear and, I've found, is allowed in the cabin without an issue - as long as cabin bags aren't weighed!

  3. I have considered the Pelican 1510 or the Monoprice knock-off.  You enjoy yours?

  4. Yeah, I've had the 1510 for must be 20+ years! I've hauled it all over the place. I got the moveable padded divider set and the lid pockets. Very adaptable.

    Generally the 1510 holds a Subal housing plus camera (over the years Nikon D300, D800, D500) a pair of mid-sized strobes (either Inon Z240s or now Retras), a macro port, a focus light, a bunch of UCLS clamps, a focus light + charger, all the maintenance bits and bobs and maybe the additional small part. 4x ULCS arms with Stix floats are in my check-in with dive gear.

    I then also have a carry-on camera bag with lenses. 

    Has worked for me for years: several continents, many countries, many airlines - large, small, charter, scheduled, many aircraft from A380s to 8-seat puddle-hoppers. It is rare that I don't use it.

  5. You need to consider what if you travel on an airline that forces you to check your housing.  A lot of  airlines outside the US particularly low cost carriers will try to make you check stuff.  A small pelican would make sense for what you are proposing I think.

  6. Why would an airline force me to check my personal item? I've flown dozens of times on RyanAir, Wizzair, Wow and a few other budget airlines have never been forced to check anything.

  7. 40 minutes ago, loki_racer said:

    Why would an airline force me to check my personal item? I've flown dozens of times on RyanAir, Wizzair, Wow and a few other budget airlines have never been forced to check anything.

    It happens on some airlines - those that charge for checked baggage have been known to force passengers to check items that don't meet their carry-on specification limit and then they can charge them for it.  Can also happen if you get on the flight after the overhead bins are full.  Depends on what market you are flying in.  It is a regular topic discussed here - perhaps not for personal items, but once you put the housing in a bag you need to be prepared.  It is a good idea to read up the luggage rules for each carrier.

  8. As Chris says, this is subject discussed at great length in lots of threads.

    One of the advantages, seems to me, of using a Pelican is that if the type of issue arises that Chris outlines, having it hold-loaded is not a major concern: as opposed to having a housing etc in a soft bag.

    But, no, I've never experienced it either. Thankfully.

  9. I have the same setup that Tim uses.  A case like that Pelican comfortably holds everything I need.  The problem is that it weighs about 5 kg empty, and probably 15 kg when fully loaded. On budget airlines that weigh carried bags, it will end up in the hold, but that’s OK as it is indestructible.  I’m actually happy when the airline asks at the gate for volunteers to check their carryon!  

  10. On 7/7/2023 at 7:04 AM, loki_racer said:

    I'm nervous to hand carry my housing now.  How do others transport their diving housing?

    For 7 years I put my housing (sometimes with camera inside, a D810), 230mm dome port and whatever else I could fit into a Thinktank rolling bag.  Weight around 35 pounds.  What didn't fit in there, or in my waist bag (camera and 2-3 lenses) went in my suitcase along with my dive gear.  My clothes and some gear ended up in a second suitcase.  I hated worrying about the carryon getting gate-checked.  On my last trip I used a Pelican suitcase (1610 Air) to hold the housing, dome port and whatever else I could stuff into its foam padding.  Total weight 47 pounds, and I still have a second suitcase holding more strobes, dive gear and a few pieces of clothing.  I have a small backpack with a laptop in for carryon now.  I used to put the laptop in the suitcase.

    I never really had any issues with TSA and the Thinktank.   Half the time it went right through, and the other half it got opened because that big dome port just looks so inviting on the X-ray...   The bag I have theoretically fits under an airline seat, but only if you have full space under the seat in front of you.  Normally I get on the plane in an early boarding group and put the bag in the overhead.  The waist bag sometimes went up there too, sometimes under the seat.

    I have flown on airlines that weigh all bags, and going over 7kg can be risky.  (Looking at you, Air New Zealand.)

  11. I've reviewed the Nanuk 935, Apache 5800 and Pelican 1535.  Interior dimensions are generally 20.5 × 11.3 × 7.5”.  The glass dome I have is 9 x 9 x 4"  This would leave only 11" of room in the case after putting the dome into the case, because it will have to lay flat (can't stand up vertically).  11" isn't even enough for the housing, never mind lights, batteries, cables, chargers, drone, etc.

    I'm not convinced a carry-on case is enough space.  Does anyone have photos of their setups?

    Edited by loki_racer
  12. 3 hours ago, loki_racer said:

    I've reviewed the Nanuk 935, Apache 5800 and Pelican 1535.  Interior dimensions are generally 20.5 × 11.3 × 7.5”.  The glass dome I have is 9 x 9 x 4"  This would leave only 11" of room in the case after putting the dome into the case, because it will have to lay flat (can't stand up vertically).  11" isn't even enough for the housing, never mind lights, batteries, cables, chargers, drone, etc.

    I'm not convinced a carry-on case is enough space.  Does anyone have photos of their setups?

    Yes.   My roller bag setup as I used to use it for DSLR is here: https://www.cjcphoto.net/uwcamera/all.html

    As mentioned, I have transitioned to putting the housing, dome and whatever else fits into a Pelican 1610 Air with foam inserts.   Total packed weight it 47 pounds, and I ran out of space.  I still have 3 strobes and 6 STIX floats to pack in my suitcase.   Here is what it looks like packed, in 2 layers.   This worked well on one trip so far, to Truk Lagoon.   Here are some pics of the bag, and the stuff that didn't fit.

    20230223_125556.thumb.jpg.a14492bc4da68709a049e35f61eafb3b.jpg

    I put a macro port and the dome extension in the bottom layer along with a Miniflash, a 180 degree finder, a focus light and several arm parts and clamps.  I also put in a Samsung Smarttag+ which made it a lot easier on my mind to know my bag made it on the plane with me.  It even helped find the bag before it came up on a baggage carousel.

     

    20230223_130518.thumb.jpg.bd8cf5d926d4463516586fff915b8c94.jpg

    Once the bottom layer is filled, I put in the top layer of foam and add the housing, handle, air pump and gauge, 230mm dome port, more clamps, a 45 degree finder,  some tools in a plastic bag to reassemble the housing, and some wheel weights in a white plastic bag.   The weights came along in an attempt to balance and trim the housing when the dome port is used.  My travel luggage scale is on top of all.

     

    20230223_131339.thumb.jpg.195d0241eaf6ea9000da137bc20c50d2.jpg

    And here is the remaining camera gear (other than camera and lenses) that did not fit in the Pelican.  One big strobe plus a spare, and one ministrobe plus a snoot.  I bring 6 of the STIX floats along, not 12.   They have little weight, but I ran out of space for them in the Pelican.  I'm rethinking my Pelican packing with the idea I might put some floats in with other bits inside the float holes.

    I have to say that it was a relative pleasure to board the aircraft without the dome port and housing in carryon.   I did lose out on luggage space, and I may end up checking 3 bags some day. 

     

    Edited by phxazcraig
  13. Wow, thank you for the pics showing how you did that. I too have used the Think Tank bag. It's never been an issue until now because I've switched cameras and added a WWL1 Wet Lens, but I no longer need a big dome port. It works and I recently took it to Belize, but I have to wonder if there's something better so I'm loving the conversation. I think the biggest thing I don't like is the movable padding you use to create your compartments. A foam setup seems like it would work better, but you are also laying things flat. I thought the Think Tank bag was larger than the P1535 but your pics don't look like that's true.

  14. Hey Cliffo

    The issue with using foam, I'd suggest, is that it is one cut and you're done: there is no way to change it. Yes, you map out what you need and set it up really nicely. But then on the next trip you add or subject another bit of gear and ..... the foam no longer accommodates the equipment. Plus, after a while, it gets saggy and torn. 

    Certainly with the Pelican cases I found their padded dividers really good. They are robust and infinitely variable. I've changed the layout dozens of times - including during trips - and it's never a problem.

    I'm tempted by Pelican's Trek Pack divider system but the price is putting me off!

    I'm heading to the Red Sea in a couple of weeks and will post a pic of the case once packed.

     

  15. Thanks. I'd love to see it. I have also been put off a little bit by foam. It's just plastic with air in it, after all. But there is a foam store just down the road from where I live. Who knew such things existed? I discovered it a few years ago. They will custom build foam for your case and custom cut it for your items.

    I don't want to pay for a set of custom cut foam dividers either so I'm with ya there. If you have something that works, changing it out doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have money to burn or you have a legitimate reason (like what you have no longer works for XYZ reasons).

  16. Hey Cliffo

    Here you go. This is not the final pack but it gives you a pretty good idea. The housing, 2x Retra strobes, a bunch of bits and bob. I'll put the 4" dome in there and probably remove some of the clamps etc to my hold baggage. Usually there will be the more delicate stuff in the Pelican.

    As you can see i've got the fitting in the lid with small pockets. I find this very useful for small tools, fibre optic cables, and more bits and pieces.

    I find the padded dividers very good - these must be 20 years old - and very variable. 

     

    IMG_2178.jpg

  17. Thank you. I appreciate it.

  18. My pleasure 

  19. Hey Cliffo

    A fun afternoon checking gear, changing batteries and packing.

    So here's the current state of my Pelican case. I'm too scared to weigh it.

    Inside is the camera and housing, a 4" dome port with EXR, a Tokina 10-17mm lens, 2x Retra strobes with diffusers (2) and Superchargers  (2) and Retra macro rings.

    In the lid are the FO cables and spares, silicon grease, all the screws, Allen keys, spare o-rings and odds and ends.

    Then, hold baggage: dive gear plus 2x ULCS 5" arms and 2x ULCS 8" arms and 1x 10" arm all with Stix floats plus clamps, a Retra LSD, 8" dome wrapped in my wetsuit with EXRs.

    Then..... hand baggage: Nikkor DX 10-24 lens, Nikon Z9 with 24-200 and 14-30mm lenses.

    I will try and squeeze a toothbrush in somewhere or other.......

     

    IMG_2193 copy.jpeg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.