58 minutes ago, Davide DB said:
Reviewing the video, some questions from one who by necessity shoots in AF-S or manual... I know nothing about the Sony AF.
The camera always keeps in focus the snout of the moray eel i.e. the closest part and in some cases the eyes are not in focus and also the shrimp fluttering back and forth, coming in and out of focus. Provided that it is already a miracle that the focus chases a single point, if I wanted to, could I have intervened by blocking the focus on the eyes or by blocking it on a shrimp?
The Sony Catalyst Browser says that the camera was in "Full Screen Autofocus". I do not remember whether I had switched on Animal/Eye recognition or not, but by looking at the video I would say it was clearly switched OFF (Maybe Massimo knows how to recover this information from the original clip and can tell me)...
In this mode the camera is expected to focus always on the nearest object that is depicted on an AF pixel. Now, having more practice with the camera, I would say that animal/Eye recognition ON would have been much better (at least for stills this works very good, even when I use the Sony 90 macro with SMC-1 (what gives a similar magnification relative to the frame, as 1:1 with a MFT macro lens)...
I remember you use a GH5, that has contrast based AF. I never used this camera, but Oly EM5II, that focuses in a similar way. My personal experience was, that S-AF and MF was the way to go for everything, not just macro (Pana 45mm macro worked nice, but Zuiko 60mm was hunting a lot; CMC-1, more or less, only manually). Later, with EM1II (that has also phase contrast based AF), C-AF, even with Zuiko 60mm, worked well, but tracking only to some extend (sometimes even with CMC-1 on). Now, with A7R5, C-AF works even a little better, tracking is much more sticky and in addition there are the recognition algorithms, that work very well, when properly adjusted...
=> I guess with Animal/Eye detection on, the focus would always be on the murray eel. One even may have been able to switch to a shrimp, but this would require a lot of experience with the AF system and the knowledge how to adjust and use it...
Wolfgang