Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Marsa Alam - Sataya Dolphins- Recommandations

Started by kalani ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Marsa Alam - Sataya Dolphins- Recommandations

6 posts
  1. Hello Everybody,

    With my wife and my 5 years old daughter, we went to Marsa Alam in May. It was very nice for a first snorkeling trip with my daughter.

    Nevertheless, we tried a day trip to see the dolphins but we very disappointed : far away (about 1,5 hours by car and then another 1,5 hour by boat and the same for the return), no dolphin on that day (that is nature...) and not very friendly staff... So, we still feel that we missed a very nice trip and the chance to see wild dolphins. And it seems that the diving center took us to Samadai and not sataya...

    So, we are planning to go back to Marsa alam region in late august and we would like to be more "prepared".

    For a 2 weeks trip, I think that 3 hotels could be good :

    1 next to the airport when we arrive , a second as close as possible to Sataya and a last one near to the airport to finish with.

    My post is more about the second hotel : I think that it could be a good idea to stay a few days in a hotel as close as possible to Sataya reef in order to avoid the very long trip by car from Marsa Alam.

    Lahami bay beach resort seems to be the closest hotel to sataya and seems quite nice : do you have any feedback on this hotel? or would you recommend another hotel in this area?

    Nevertheless, the diving center inside Lahami bay resort is Barakuda diving and when I check on google, the feedbacks are quite bad :wacko:

    Do you know this diving center? Would you recommend another diving center?

    Our main goal is to see wild dolphins in a convenient way (with a 5 year old kid). In addition, we are searching for a place with easy snorkeling , very comfortable hotel and a diving center (in order to be able to dive a couple of times without my wife and daughter).

    Thank you in advance for your help

     

  2. Hey kalani

    I can't offer any advice, sorry, on the hotels. But I have snorkelled with the dolphins as part of a Red Sea liveaboard trip.

    You obviously know your daughter and her comfort level in the water. You may also know the site. But just in case you don't, I'd be a little hesitant in recommending the experience for a 5-year old. It is very cool for sure. We spent about an hour or so in the water with 2-3 pods of dolphins - maybe 20-25 dolphins.

    The site is in deepish water (by snorkelling standards) and well off-shore. The dolphins often came towards us at very high speed, veering off at the very last second.  It was a super experience - and I'm hoping to be back there in a couple of weeks. I would not say it was scary but it most certainly made you realise that you were in deepish water, out in the ocean - and they were kings of their kingdom. It's not at all the sort of dolphinarium-type experience where they swim up to you gently and you can almost stroke them. 

    Apologies if I'm passing on what you already know and have considered.

    TG40632.jpg

    TG40634-Edit.jpg

  3. My experience with Sataya is always very good

    Sprintingthe Pod

    However you need to take into accont the following issues

    1. You need to stay in the water a long time

    2. The pod moves a lot they are not exactly waiting for you so even if you jump close the can move swiftly

    3. Some guides if you pay them will ferry your child around

    4. The bottom is not shallow it sits at around 15-20 meters some kids get scared

     

    In summary I would say this is not going to be a convenient experience for a five year old and in general to take good photos you need to be on the athletic side of things. Make sure you pack full foot fins and not booties and if you can manage also fins with longer blades

    My daughter in the images here was 9 at the time and she is fierce and swims very fast. Five years old will be required to wear a life vest and that will slow things down further

    Edited by Interceptor121
  4. Thank you very much for your "warnings". 

    And whoa!! yours pics are very nice Interceptor121and TimG.

    In fact, when we went to samadai, even if we didn't see the dolphins, we went snorkeling. She wasn't scared but she was cold pretty quickly : in august, I think that the water will be warm. Do you think that it is worth taking a shorty swimsuit for her?

    When she get tired, she goes on my back :D So, in this configuration, I can swim but slower...

    Just to get an idea on how she swim, here is a quick and unedited clip with a turtle : 

     

     

    Edited by kalani
  5. Wow, that is just lovely! Good for her!

    I always think it worth wearing a wetsuit, rain or shine. There are often little stingers floating around in the water.

    The water will indeed be warm in August. Last time I was there in an August it was 90F/32C in the water. I'm not sure how the corals liked it, but I was happy..... After 30 mins our so, I think you still start to get chilly. Mind you, I wear a 5mm suit and a neoprene vest in the Caribbean so I'm no judge.

     

  6. Take a 3mm shorty for your daughter it will help her float and if possible drop the life vest


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.