I need a new strobe, for wide angle and macro fill. (I already have a Backscatter MF-2 with snoot.) Backscatter now has the Inon S220 shipping [1], so I'm curious what people think about it. I was otherwise considering the AOI Q1 RC [2]. I don't yet have a wide-angle lens, but will probably get the Backscatter M52 Underwater 120° Wide Angle Lens.
My thoughts:
I like the AOI's compatibility with Olympus RC TTL, and its 700 lumen modeling light. I especially like its fast recycle time—good for sea lions! (Though my TG-6 has slow autofocus.) But the Inon has 140°×100° beam angle, while the AOI only has 85°x85°. They both have a 22 guide number, FWIW. The Inon is slightly smaller, slightly lighter (12.3oz versus 19.4oz), slightly more neutral underwater.
The Inon is $450 (including the 1-inch ballhead) plus 4x AA batteries, the AOI is $365 plus 2x 18650 batteries. I already use 21700 and 18650 batteries for my MF-2 strobe and dive light.
What do you think? Is the Inon's wider beam angle worth the extra price and slow recycle time?
[1] Inon S220 S-TTL Underwater Strobe
[2] AOI Q1 RC Ultra Compact Underwater Strobe
My thoughts:
I like the AOI's compatibility with Olympus RC TTL, and its 700 lumen modeling light. I especially like its fast recycle time—good for sea lions! (Though my TG-6 has slow autofocus.) But the Inon has 140°×100° beam angle, while the AOI only has 85°x85°. They both have a 22 guide number, FWIW. The Inon is slightly smaller, slightly lighter (12.3oz versus 19.4oz), slightly more neutral underwater.
The Inon is $450 (including the 1-inch ballhead) plus 4x AA batteries, the AOI is $365 plus 2x 18650 batteries. I already use 21700 and 18650 batteries for my MF-2 strobe and dive light.
What do you think? Is the Inon's wider beam angle worth the extra price and slow recycle time?
[1] Inon S220 S-TTL Underwater Strobe
[2] AOI Q1 RC Ultra Compact Underwater Strobe