Quite a few people, including @Barmaglot told me last year to look into Nauticam wet lenses for my Sony A1 seafrogs housing. I'm looking into it now. I believe the Seafrogs housing has an M67 port. Does that mean I need to get a Nauticam WWL-1 wet lens, and not WWL-1B or WWL-1C? Are there any other / newer Nauticam things / alternative brands that would work with the Seafrogs housing? I currently use the Seafrogs 8" dome port with a Sony 24GM prime lens with the A1. Would I need to get any other parts in addition to the WWL-1 / B / C / alternative? I've heard some good things about the WWL-1 + the 28-60 kit lens too. Would that be better than the 24 GM? Also, is there something that can attach to the front to give macro capabilities as well?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Seafrogs + Nauticam WWL or something else
Started by ashic ·
- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
Seafrogs + Nauticam WWL or something else
-
-
2 hours ago, ashic said:
Quite a few people, including @Barmaglot told me last year to look into Nauticam wet lenses for my Sony A1 seafrogs housing. I'm looking into it now. I believe the Seafrogs housing has an M67 port. Does that mean I need to get a Nauticam WWL-1 wet lens, and not WWL-1B or WWL-1C? Are there any other / newer Nauticam things / alternative brands that would work with the Seafrogs housing? I currently use the Seafrogs 8" dome port with a Sony 24GM prime lens with the A1. Would I need to get any other parts in addition to the WWL-1 / B / C / alternative? I've heard some good things about the WWL-1 + the 28-60 kit lens too. Would that be better than the 24 GM? Also, is there something that can attach to the front to give macro capabilities as well?
The only wet lenses in the WWL range that attach to the seafrogs port is the WWL-1 the bayonet fitting required for the WWL-1B and WWL-1C doesn't fit on the sea frogs port so you can't use those items.
The WWL-1 requires a 28mm lens and will vignette with a 24mm lens. The WWL-1C is designed for 24mm but you cant use it on the seafrogs port.
Really the path of least resistance to use the WWL on Seafrogs is to get the Sony 28-60, it's more flexible than a prime and of course you need the required port and zoom gear for it.
-
11 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:
The only wet lenses in the WWL range that attach to the seafrogs port is the WWL-1 the bayonet fitting required for the WWL-1B and WWL-1C doesn't fit on the sea frogs port so you can't use those items.
The WWL-1 requires a 28mm lens and will vignette with a 24mm lens. The WWL-1C is designed for 24mm but you cant use it on the seafrogs port.
Really the path of least resistance to use the WWL on Seafrogs is to get the Sony 28-60, it's more flexible than a prime and of course you need the required port and zoom gear for it.
Thanks, @ChrisRoss. I'd be happy to get the 28-60... it's cheap enough considering the cost of diving in general!
Would you be able to clarify on the following:
1. Would the WWL-1 / WWL-1B screw directly into the Seafrogs housing, or would it somehow work with an existing Seafrogs port attached to the housing? (I can't think of how the latter would work, but wanted to be sure).
2. The WWL-1 would not need a bayonet converter. The WWL-1B will need one (like https://www.mikesdivecameras.com/products/nauticam-m67-bayonet-mount-converter-ii ). Is this correct?
3. Is the WWL-1B + bayonet *better* than the WWL-1? Are there any potential vignetting issues (when using 28mm)? -
Also, for a zoom gear for the 28-60...would that be a Seafrogs gear, or is zooming something the WWL-1 / B supports? I'd have thought it'd be a Seafrogs one for inside the case.
-
1 hour ago, ashic said:
1. Would the WWL-1 / WWL-1B screw directly into the Seafrogs housing, or would it somehow work with an existing Seafrogs port attached to the housing? (I can't think of how the latter would work, but wanted to be sure).
It works with the flat port that attaches to the housing.
The front of the port has 67mm threads, and the WWL-1 lens screws into these threads.
1 hour ago, ashic said:2. The WWL-1 would not need a bayonet converter. The WWL-1B will need one (like https://www.mikesdivecameras.com/products/nauticam-m67-bayonet-mount-converter-ii ). Is this correct?
Yes, but the Nauticam bayonet converter does not fit a SeaFrogs port. The converter has the threads on the inside of a fairly narrow groove, which does not fit over the wide flange of the SeaFrogs port.
1 hour ago, ashic said:3. Is the WWL-1B + bayonet *better* than the WWL-1? Are there any potential vignetting issues (when using 28mm)?
The bayonet makes it easier to take the lens off/put it on underwater, but, again, it cannot be used with SeaFrogs.
1 hour ago, ashic said:Also, for a zoom gear for the 28-60...would that be a Seafrogs gear, or is zooming something the WWL-1 / B supports? I'd have thought it'd be a Seafrogs one for inside the case.
The port that I linked above comes bundled with a gear for 28-60mm lens.
-
The WWL-1 already vignettes with the Sony 28-60mm on the Nauticam housing once you switch distortion correction off.
The set up is really at the limit already, the 28mm instead does not vignette but has a special port. The Nauticam flat port has a few mm excess lenght it was not designed for that lens
I would imagine that other 3rd party housing may vignette same or more.
The A1 costs new now £6k the Nauticam housing is £3.5k. The seafrog housing I think is $500
I would not for any reason risk my A1 in a polycarbonate housing. I can understand someone using a compact or APSC under $1,500 but for the A1 wow this is a big risk
-
2 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:
The WWL-1 already vignettes with the Sony 28-60mm on the Nauticam housing once you switch distortion correction off.
The set up is really at the limit already, the 28mm instead does not vignette but has a special port. The Nauticam flat port has a few mm excess lenght it was not designed for that lens
I would imagine that other 3rd party housing may vignette same or more.
The A1 costs new now £6k the Nauticam housing is £3.5k. The seafrog housing I think is $500
I would not for any reason risk my A1 in a polycarbonate housing. I can understand someone using a compact or APSC under $1,500 but for the A1 wow this is a big risk
1. I've been diving with the A1 in the Seafrogs for over a year now. It does the job.
2. I have comprehensive insurance that covers diving. Without that, I wouldn't even consider it.I'm interested in the nauticam WWL + seafrogs because if I upgrade the camera, I can get another $500 housing and keep the key part - the lens. A £3.5K housing specific to one camera isn't very appealing as I'm mostly a holiday diver.
-
15 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:
It works with the flat port that attaches to the housing.
The front of the port has 67mm threads, and the WWL-1 lens screws into these threads.
Yes, but the Nauticam bayonet converter does not fit a SeaFrogs port. The converter has the threads on the inside of a fairly narrow groove, which does not fit over the wide flange of the SeaFrogs port.
The bayonet makes it easier to take the lens off/put it on underwater, but, again, it cannot be used with SeaFrogs.
The port that I linked above comes bundled with a gear for 28-60mm lens.
Right... so for Seafrogs, the only option is the short flat port + WWL-1 (and not WWL-1B), correct? And it won't need a bayonet adapter.
-
7 minutes ago, ashic said:
1. I've been diving with the A1 in the Seafrogs for over a year now. It does the job.
2. I have comprehensive insurance that covers diving. Without that, I wouldn't even consider it.I'm interested in the nauticam WWL + seafrogs because if I upgrade the camera, I can get another $500 housing and keep the key part - the lens. A £3.5K housing specific to one camera isn't very appealing as I'm mostly a holiday diver.
Upgrade the A1 to what exactly?
Those wet lenses are precision machined for Nauticam housing sometimes by chance work with something else mostly the close up lenses wide angle more rarely
Imagine you buy the WWL-1 and it vignettes to 32mm for example you just spent WWL-1, 28-60mm for suboptimal results.
I would double check that the port sea frogs offer is really tight on the 28-60mm to avoid increased risk of vignetting which would make the lens not as useful as you expect
-
2 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:
Upgrade the A1 to what exactly?
Those wet lenses are precision machined for Nauticam housing sometimes by chance work with something else mostly the close up lenses wide angle more rarely
Imagine you buy the WWL-1 and it vignettes to 32mm for example you just spent WWL-1, 28-60mm for suboptimal results.
I would double check that the port sea frogs offer is really tight on the 28-60mm to avoid increased risk of vignetting which would make the lens not as useful as you expect
Yup... that's why I'm asking here. I recall @Barmaglot has tested Seafrogs + WWL 28-60 extensively and had great results. While discussing this, I recall he stated something about trying the WWL-1B, and others had reported some issues. That was over a year ago. So was asking if there's something *better* than the "old" WWL-1, or if that's still the way to go.
As for upgrading... eventually when there's an A2. I started diving with the A7 iii and had to ditch the housing when I upgraded to the A1. I'm not looking to buy a new housing every 2-4 years.
-
Just now, ashic said:
Yup... that's why I'm asking here. I recall @Barmaglot has tested Seafrogs + WWL 28-60 extensively and had great results. While discussing this, I recall he stated something about trying the WWL-1B, and others had reported some issues. That was over a year ago. So was asking if there's something *better* than the "old" WWL-1, or if that's still the way to go.
He has an APSC camera last time I checked so am not sure about 28-60mm and WWL-1 that is for full frame> try to find someone that has used the set up on full frame
-
23 minutes ago, ashic said:
Yup... that's why I'm asking here. I recall @Barmaglot has tested Seafrogs + WWL 28-60 extensively and had great results. While discussing this, I recall he stated something about trying the WWL-1B, and others had reported some issues. That was over a year ago. So was asking if there's something *better* than the "old" WWL-1, or if that's still the way to go.
That wasn't me - I use an A6300 with 16-50mm and AOI/Fantasea UWL-09F; same idea, but with a crop sensor. There is a thread about Nauticam bayonet fit on SeaFrogs ports from a while back; I'll try to dig it up later.