Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

One 2Gb card or 2 1Gb cards?

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

One 2Gb card or 2 1Gb cards?

5 posts
  1. One 2Gb card or 2 1Gb cards?

    So I am going to start shooting RAW/NEF with my D100. Up to this point I have been shooting JPEG Fine. When we take a trip I store my shots on a 20GB Flashtrax unit. So if you are doing 4-5 dives per day I could have one card downloading into the Flashtrax while one is in the camera. Plus good to have a backup. Or should I just not worry about it and go with the 2gig card? About how many shots can you get on a 1Gb card?

     

    Thanks

  2. I went to a 2gb card with my D70 for shooting in RAW.....I can shoot all day..4 to 5 dives... and only have to open the back of the housing once a day to download cards and recharge batteries....we could fill a 1gb card too easily

     

    I still have a 1gb card as a backup...but never use it....

     

    My camera will get almost twice the number of shots that the camera says it has left....varies but +/- 300 shots in RAW with the 2gb card

     

    Karl

  3. I have a Canon 300D so it isn't exactly the same but close. I have 2 2GB cards and 1 1GB card. I used the 2GB cards almost exclusively. I get almost 300 shots per 2GB card and around 150 on the 1GB card in RAW.

     

    Although I have yet to do a full dive with the camera (waiting for the seas to calm down here in Florida right now) I think that the 2GB card is the way to go as you get twice as many shots per card before having to pop the case open. The batteries on the 300D can shoot up to 400 - 500 shots between recharges so they outlast the card as well.

     

    I would definitely have a backup card though just in case.

     

    Craig

  4. I agree with these guys.........

     

    I have a 2GB microdrive that I use with my D70. It's great and seems to be a very practical size for a full day of shooting.

     

    However, I really suggest that whatever size you ultimately choose, have at least one backup card even if it's a smaller one. That way you can keep shooting while on a trip if your primary card stops cooperating.

     

    Today, I only have a 512MB card as a backup, but I plan on turning some santa cash in for a 2GB Flash card real soon! I always try to have a plan "B"

     

    In the imortal words of Captain Ron:

     

    "If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"

     

    Cheers,

    Sieg

  5. So 2G it is! I have 2x512 cards just in case.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.