Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Unidetified Floating Jellyfish - Help Please!!!

Started by mad-marco ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Unidetified Floating Jellyfish - Help Please!!!

4 posts
  1. Unidetified Floating Jellyfish - Help Please!!!

    Hi All,

     

    Wondered if anyone could help identify this jellyfish snapped with my Canon S40 when snorkelling in Majorca? If you look carefully (much easier in the original uncompressed image) there appears to be a small fish living (or dying!) inside and jellyfish. There was a huge swarm of them around our boat so I dived in to snap away.

     

    Any help would be appreciated.

     

    Regards,

     

    Marco

  2. Hi Marco, welcome to Wetpixel :D:)

     

    I don't know the name of this jellyfish...but it sure is pretty :)

     

    I'm sure someone here will be able to give you the correct name.

     

    Karl

  3. I guess it’s Cotylorhiza tuberculata. I don’t know the English name (just the Hungarian :D ). The rough translation is wart(ed) jellyfish.

     

    Marcell

  4. That's great, thanks for the reply gobiodon I searched google and this page popped up front and centre:

     

    http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other...uberculata.html

     

    They gave it a common name of Fried Egg Jellyfish with a nice description and pictures. Like my picture they show some tiny fish living around and in the Jellyfish.

     

    Many thanks.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.