Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

How to keep waterdrops off the lens & Cabo/CA UW shots

Started by have2fish ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

How to keep waterdrops off the lens & Cabo/CA UW shots

10 posts
  1. How to keep waterdrops off the lens & Cabo/CA UW shots

    Hello all,

     

    Happy New Year, I hope all of you are safe after these recent events.

     

    I have a question, I have a Oly 5060 w/ PT-20 as well as CP 5000 and tetra housing.

     

    I would like to know any methods of getting water drops off the lens when I take an above water shot, or am shooting surf/wave shots. Is there something I can apply to lens so that the water sheens off?

     

    Also with my wetmate lens system, how does shooting above water effect the lens? is it necessary to have water in the space between lens, if so how can I capture it there?

     

     

    Below are a couple of gallerys of playing with my new cameras off Cabo as well as off Santa Cruz Island.

     

    http://ImageEvent.com/have2fish/freedivingcabo

     

    and

     

    http://ImageEvent.com/have2fish/underwater...santacruzisland

     

    thanks

     

    Marco Farrell

    Santa Barbara

    have2fish@yahoo.com

  2. many people may offer you many pieces of advice .. and i have hear dso many people say this doesn't work ... but if it is a glass port or lense .. SPIT spit and run it around with your finger

    rinse it in the sea

    repeat if needed

    but it works

    sometimes licking a lesne or port .. or even you mask (to stop it fogging) can help underwater if you have bubble sticking to it.

  3. and my understanding is with wet lenses .. they need water between the lense and housing.

     

    bt try it out .. you never know

  4. I've had good experience with rain-x (windshield anti-beading agent) available

    at your local auto-zone. It washes off after 2 or 3 dives.

  5. trouble with rainx is it takes off any anti reflective or glare layer that may be put on the outside of the glass.

    same with any chemical based product. (such as defog solution which works, or mirror anit fog etc)

    I have heard of something you can get in a bottle that is meant to be safe, but why pay money when you can spit and always have it with you !

  6. A drop of dishwashing liquid ( environmently friendly - biodegradable ) is as good as any , failing that you can't beat spit if your in a bind.

  7. Always a troublesome one. Martin Edge - probably the best UW Photog teacher in the UK - sums it up rather well. I've tried Rain-X... I've tried licking the port... I've tried licking Rain-X, and none work perfectly!

     

    I find that the best way to have a droplet free port for split levels is to dry it - and then don't get it wet until you are ready to take the shot. But I admit that is not always possible - and doesn't really answer you question.

     

    Alex

  8. maybe

    HI,

    someone said to me that it would help to grind an piece of apple over the front.

    BUT I didn't tried yet - Maybe someone could try it - without any warranty from me ;-)

    Greetinx

    Tom

  9. Re: maybe

    HI,

    someone said to me that it would help to grind an piece of apple over the front.

    BUT I didn't tried yet - Maybe someone could try it - without any warranty from me ;-)

    Greetinx

    Tom

     

    Actually, I have heard from several sources that if you make a fresh cut in a potato and rub it on the lens it helps water to sheet off quickly. Since the potato "juice" contains lots of starch it may be hydrophobic and repell wtare from the lens... I have never really tested it - as I do not have a dome lens for above/below water shots...Its a realatively cheap solution - might be worth an experiment...Any one looking to try - I am off to Key Largo on Sat soImay try it then just for S & G...

     

    regards...

     

    - MP

  10. the starch or enzymey starchey stuff is the same reason spit works.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.