Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Shipping photo gear

Started by Lionfish43 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Shipping photo gear

4 posts
  1. Shipping photo gear

    Is anyone using a carrier such UPS, Fedex, etc. to ship their gear to a dive destination. With all the hassles lately involving checked luggage on the airlines - my photo case has been opened and manhandled on the last 4 trips I've done - I was wondering if anyone is doing it. Will they accept coolers that have been sealed with duct tape? Is it cost effective. Any input, pro or con, is welcomed.

  2. Cost effective compared to what, carrying it on a plane. We routinely ship instruments around the world with FEDEX, and they insist on being able to open the packages for customs. Unlike the airplane trip, your package must be cleared by customs so it most likely will get opened in the country where you are shipping it. That being said, we have had no damage or difficulties but at a typical fee of about $400 for a 65 lb box.

  3. That shipment is for LA-Palau or LA-Truk. YMMV

  4. I havent done it yet, but I will be doing something similar next month when I go to australia. I am going to ship my clothes.

     

    Shipping is expensive and dependant on weight. UPS quoted me $360 each way to ship a 50 lb package. I figure it will cost half as much to ship a suitcase full of clothes as it will to ship a suitcase full of heavy dive gear.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.