Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Some kind of egg sack ?

Started by gordongreeff ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Some kind of egg sack ?

6 posts
  1. Some kind of egg sack ?

    Took this photo last night on a wreck dive in Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa.

     

    Any ideas ?

  2. Hi,

     

    I believe that is a closed up anemone.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. i agree ... although i have mostly seen them cover themselves in debris to hide themselves when they close .. but it is the right shape and mouth etc (looks all squishy)

  4. It is an anemone and I believe that's the everted stomach puffed up around the mouth. Anemones commonly do that.

    Cheers, Leslie

  5. Thanks folks.

     

    Do you know why they do that with the stomachs ?

     

    I'll do some research on it. First time I've seen it...

  6. It's normal behavior to get rid of detritus; they also do it when stressed.

    L

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.