Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Crinoid shrimp

Started by scubamarli ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Crinoid shrimp

3 posts
  1. Crinoid shrimp

    This little shrimp is 1/4 inch long, so pardon the quality of the photo. It was taken in Belize, on Lighthouse Reef. It looks similar to one in Humann's Reef Creature, Periclimenes meyeri, but has spots and red marks on the tail fan, which P. meyeri does not. May be an adaptation in colour to this crinoid, which is a different one than mentioned as the host crinoid in the reference. Can anyone confirm the ID?

    Many thanks,

    Marli

  2. Hi Marli

    yes, I think it's P. meyeri, assuming that Humann's ID is correct

    crinoid shrimps are highly variable in colour adapting themselves quite quickly to the hosts

    cheerio

    Art

  3. Thanks, Art,

    I suspected as much, but Humann states "known only from Bonaire and Curacao" on Black and White crinoids. I figure as it's a pretty new species and teeny, no one's looking. Its range is probably a lot wider than we know. I concentrated on finding the new shrimp in his book, and found four different ones in three days.

    Cheers,

    Marli

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.