Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Went to Photoshop Training Camp yesterday

Started by scorpio_fish ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Went to Photoshop Training Camp yesterday

5 posts
  1. Went to Photoshop Training Camp yesterday

    It was conducted by Jack Davis, member of the "Photoshop Dream Team". Man, I've been doing everything wrong. I've decided I must redo every digital image I've ever created.

     

    I will take a leave of absence from work and cancel all dive trips. I will start by scanning all those books of slides and negatives, then erase all my hardrives except for NEF files. I should be done in a year or so.

     

    In all seriousness, I done learnt a lot. (Must remember to right click when stumped) Photoshop CS is like my brain, so much there that I've never used. I will now be able to fool people with my Tiger Shark head on the body of a blenny.

     

    Maybe we should share our PS knowledge? (If using PS isn't "cheating")

  2. Hi George,

     

    I'm glad to hear it's worth it. We've had 2 Photoshop Workshops with my HUPS.org club. Both were good but could have been a lot better, IMO.

     

    I have done a PS article or two here, the Channel Mixer article and Craig's Camera Raw tutorial.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Yes, but do you know how to remove "love handles" with the liquify tool. I'm talking about really cool stuff! Not that I would ever use it.

  4. Eat right and excercise my friend...lol

  5. I've done one Photoshop feature article here, about using Apply Image to repair damaged color channels, specifically to correct or salvage) u/w images in which the red channel is badly damaged or non-existent, which can easily occur with images illuminated purely by ambient light at depths of 20 meters or more, particularly subjects which might be shot at distances beyond strobe range such as pelagics and wrecks.

     

    Learning PS looks like it might turn into a life-long thing. I keep discovering "new" tools and techniques that really do make me want to throw it all away and redo almost every image I've ever done. Unfortunately, ars longa, vita brevis.

     

    For me, the latest discovery has been magic wand/lasso or color match tools to select the background water, feathering, and then selectively applying noise filters to those areas (or, alternatively, selectively not applying full sharpening to background areas, which sometimes amounts to almost the same thing). This allows more sharpening on the main subject without kicking the noise in the background up so high that it starts to look like woven fabric.

     

    I'm sure this is something knowledgeable PS users would consider very basic, but I hadn't worked out a good way of doing it before. So it's taken me, what, five years to figure out that I really don't need to apply sharpening to the background water (or sky, or out-of-focus areas in a macro shot).

     

    Using layers with variable opacity and/or different modes to fine-tune the effects of global changes is something I'm more likely to bother with now than before. The history brush is another tool that I'm just starting to get a handle on.

     

    Some here may argue that discussions like this belong on a different website, one focused on photoshop techniques, and they would have a point. Personally, I think that many problems of underwater images (and the best techniques to solve them) are specific enough to more than justify having those discussions here. Dealing with wiped out red channels on images taken with ambient light in deep water is just one example.

     

    That's why I'm glad one forum on this site is dedicated to "Image Processing, Printing and Storage," though to date I don't think the discussions of PS techniques have been as extensive or useful as they could be. Particularly when compared to the very informative (and highly technical) threads comparing and discussing different sensors and camera platforms.

     

    Unfortunately, spending more time playing with PS doesn't appear to be a optimal way to reduce love-handles. If only there were a "history" brush that could be used to selectively repair the ravages of time on our bodies and our lives.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.