Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

How should I adjust the position of my strobes?

Started by AaronD ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

How should I adjust the position of my strobes?

7 posts
  1. How should I adjust the position of my strobes?

    I have no real U/W photography experience. I am an avid dry photographer as a hobby (Elan IIe, Sony 717). I just purchased a 20d, ikelite housing, two ds125s, 10mm-22mm USM, 100mm macro USM, appropriate ports, ect.

     

    I have been reading many of the posts for days now. Many of my questions have already been answered by them. Strobe positioning is one area I need some clarification. I understand the reason for keeping the strobes back to avoid unnecessary backscatter when shooting WA; however, do you cross light the stobes or not? How about macro? It seems to be understood that the stobes are to be tight. Are there any diagrams that show some of these strobe positions which helps to give the photographs a more natural look?

     

    Any resources I could be directed to will be appreciated as well.

  2. Hi Aaron,

     

    I know there are some diagrams out there on the web, because I have seen them. Just can't find it right now.

     

    It sounds like you have the WA setup down. Just don't point the strobes in - straight ahead and out is good.

     

    For macro, the position is really up to you and the effect you want. Up and to the sides a bit is good for general use. Out in front and pointing in is good for dramatic side lighting.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Everyone stresses about strobe aiming when worrying about backscatter. But camera to subject distance is just as important. The more water that the strobes go through (and lens sees) before they get to the subject - the more backscatter. It is the volume of water that matters.

     

    My approach is simple. Two strobes either side of the port. Pointing forward. The longer the camera to subject distance the wider out they go. This setup is pretty much independent of the focal length of the lens.

     

    Alex

  4. I know there are some diagrams out there on the web, because I have seen them. Just can't find it right now.

     

    Visit http://www.kelpfish.net/strobe.swf for strobe aiming strategies

     

    hth

  5. Do I need to adjust the power settings differently on the fill strobe compared to the primary strobe? or is this a matter of preference depending on the desired effect? I have a cruise coming up this March. My wife and I will have three ports-of-call--Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I have reserved our dive excursions at each location (two dives at each port). As a novice diver/photographer, what type of shots should I work on first. At Cozumel, for example, should I shoot WA due to the stronger current and practice with the macro at Grand Cayman? Fortunately we start at Key West and end up at Cozumel--this will help me to get a bit more comfortable using the camera before diving Cozumel. Do you recommend a moisture sensor for the housing? Recommendations for securing the camera to my bc? Is a flashlight unnecessary since I have modeling lights? Do you lube the housing seals? If so do you recommend a water based lube like "ky"? :?

     

    Thanks--Aaron

  6. If you are shooting manual strobe power, then yes, you adjust each side for desired effect.

     

    If you are shooting TTL, you can get some control of relative power mixing, by varying strobe to subject distance, on each side.

     

    HTH,

    Don

  7. As a novice diver/photographer, what type of shots should I work on first.  At Cozumel, for example, should I shoot WA due to the stronger current and practice with the macro at Grand Cayman?  

     

    Are you a novice diver as well - or just a novice to UW photography?

     

    If a novice diver (<25 dives), then I would say that it might take a while to familiarize yourself with concentrating on photography in general while diving - especially in current.

     

    I just bought my ike housing for my d70, and after 6 dives with it, I would say I am now comfortable to focus on getting a decent shot (although I don't have any yet :-(), rather than how to work the housing. I am a relatively innexperienced diver as well (about a 100 dives), and had taken 4000 shots with my D70 before I put it in the housing. You would do well to take shots ahead of your diving in a pool to familiarize yourself with the housing/camera/strobe controls. It cn be very disorienting for the first time - even when you are very familiar with your camera.

     

    unnecessary since I have modeling lights?  Do you lube the housing seals?  If so do you recommend a water based lube like "ky"? :?  

     

    Ike recommends only its own lube. I certainly wouldn't use KY in its place, or vice/versa. Also note that the main seal is not meant to be lubricated, only the port, and strobe connector seals.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.