Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

I am finding color discrepancies between PS 7 raw converter

Started by m&m ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

I am finding color discrepancies between PS 7 raw converter

6 posts
  1. I am finding color discrepancies between PS 7 raw converter

    I decided to a picture of a set of colored magic markers to test for printer color rendition. The picture was taken in the raw/jpeg mode (Canon MKI). When I open the raw file in Photoshop directly, via its plug in, the colors were way off. This is no matter what I do with white balance. The jpeg actually has better color rendition. I then opened the raw file with EOS viewer. The colors were good. When I transferred them to PS via the transfer button, they looked fine. So it seems that PS raw converter is messing up my colors.

     

    Has anyone else found this problem? I am missing something?

     

    Thanks, Mark

  2. More controls than just white balance effect color. You also mave to make sure that your camera is officially supported in the version of the converter you're using. Sometimes cameras work in ACR but the color profiling isn't complete.

     

    ACR is certainly capable of great color especially when you calibrate your specific camera.

  3. Craig, after posting my message i down loaded the beta 2.4 verson. My colors seem much better now. Is the new verson prone to this?

     

    What do you mean by the color profiling isn't complete? Did i miss something? I have calibrated with a sypder, and that is the color space i use.

  4. Adobe integrates support for cameras in ACR as soon as they are able to but they don't list the cameras as "supported" until they can finish their color profiling work. It may be that your camera worked with your version of ACR but the color support in the converter was off. That was the case for me with the Kodak 14n for a while. You don't list which camera you are using or which version of ACR so it's hard to tell. It has nothing to do with monitor calibration.

     

    You may consider calibrating your camera and strobes using Thomas For's calibrator script. I've done this with my Inon's and 1DMk2 and it makes a noticable difference. I'd like to figure out how to do it underwater.

  5. I am using Photoshop CS. My camera is the Canon MKII. Yes, using the updated raw converter improved my color renditions.

     

    Thanks for the tip on the calibrator scrit. I just order the color card. I have often wondered if i brought a color card of sorts on the dive, then take a picture for not only white balancing , but to try and tweek other colors. My last trip i was going to do this with a small set of magic markers but i forgot them. The real pain is that our color dynamics are always changing--depth, strobe/camera distance, water composition.... Taking test shots for every photo is not to practicle.

     

    No great answers, mark

  6. I'd be very careful with what you use for color references. Also, color doesn't always vary underwater from shot to shot. It does for wide angle but not so much for macro. I think if you calibrate your camera and strobes above water the white balance controls will get you the rest of the way.

     

    You keep saying Canon MKII but there are two of those. The 1DMKII is supported by 2.3 (possibly earlier) while the 1DsMKII is just now supported in 2.4.

     

    Amphibico makes a color reference card which I've bought. Seems to me that the script could be modified to use that reference and I'm considering. Trouble is that it's very shiny and I'm worried that the colors won't be properly saturated. I'd like to laminate the color checker but that will create a shiny surface as well. You have to be very careful I think or your results will be garbage.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.