To be perfectly aligned the lens entrance pupil should be at the dome centre. Not really sure what would happen if the lens is placed too far back, but if it’s placed forward of the centre the dome must appear more and more (as the lens is moved forward) like a flat port – right? Is this necessarily a problem? Couldn’t one imagine a port that is part flat and part dome? It’s just a matter of how much light is refracted. I am at least guessing that if you’re not perfectly at the centre it’s better to be closer to the dome than further away from it.
Is it possible, or even a good idea, to use cameras like the Nikon 8400 or the Olympus 7070 with a dome port for all-round use (not adding a wide angle converter)?
I've e-mailed Ike to ask that very question about the 8400 and it's standard lens.
Ike used to make housings with a dome port standard. Their Coolpix 990 housing came with a dome and it was great.
Cheers
James
That camera only had a 38mm lens. Did you use one of the wide angle converters?
As far as I understand from the Ikelite page the dome port was standard and intended for the "plain" camera. Could you change the port? Did you need to change it if/when using a wide angle converter?
Now that several compact cameras come down to 28, 27, and even 24mm - why not a dome port?
Ike...
Hi,
Did you read my article apete? If you did, the first photo was taken w/ the 990, Ike housing, and no WA converter. Only the built on dome port. I later used the 990 with the Nikon WC-E24 which made it a 24mm lens - it was excellent.
Cheers
James
Yes, I did read your article. Did the WC-E24 fit in the housing the way it was?
Sounds like the Nikon 8400 would be a great camera housed (the way it is) with a dome port.
Several Olympus housings have interchangeable ports. Lots of people buy these housings. Can't understand why there aren't more PPO-01 and PPO-02 alternatives. The only one I know about is that Athena dome port for the 5060. I've never seen or heard about anyone using it.
Yep, it fit in just like that. In fact, I still have that lens, I liked it so much I thought someday I'd find a use for it.