Apparently, ikelite does have a custom housing for Canon D60. I own a D30 and would like to take my camera underwater.
I realize that part of the LCD will be blocked by the housing. But the price of ikelite's housing seems very attractive and I would sacrifice it.
From the information on ikelite's page, it mentioned that the camera needs to be sent to them for customization. Is this really a must?
Because the housing is a special order from Ike, and not a model they keep in stock all the time, the safest bet is to send them the camera so they can check their work. It sure beats the alternative! That being said, you would think that if they have already built one, they would have the measurements on file. Ike will probably respond personally soon . . .
We do need the camera to ascertain control locations as D30 and D60 are not a stock installation.
Just out of curiousity, why is it that you DO need the camera to check the controls? Like Mike above, I'd think once you created a couple of the D60 housings that it would be close to stock.
Is there some variation in the camera, or is placement of the controls so precise that you use the camera just to verify? If that's the case, how is the D60 any different than any other camera?
Thanks!
Tom
Because I am too cheap to buy a camera, and we are skeptical how many housings we can sell since view screen is blocked by ribs in housing back. We will probably have an aluminum back for these cameras later this year.
In this case, it will be quite difficult for me to send the camera to ikelite, as I am residing in Hong Kong.
What will be the leadtime to build the housing?
Ike, brutal honesty is a beautiful thing. Thanks for explaining.
Hopefully by the time I get a D60, you'll have that aluminum back. I assume it would give a full view of the LCD and also increase the rated depth back to your standard 200'.
Tom
Ike..Cheap? You woundn't know it from your products.
Yeah, I'd second that. Must be more that he's spending all his money on making sure the products live up to their reputation...