Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Calling Canadians!

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Calling Canadians!

17 posts
  1. Calling Canadians!

    Bit of a random one this! This morning I got an email forwarded through several people that originated from Diver Magazine, Canada.

    http://www.divermag.com/

     

    They want to pay me for an image of mine that was sent to them to promote the Digital Jam event in Cayman. I was told they used it on their cover. That is sorted now.

     

    Anyway, I like to keep a track of my cover shots and usually post them on my website. If anyone has a copy of this magazine please could they send me either a scan or a photo of the cover. Low resolution is fine. It is first for my own interest and if it looks nice I may put it on the web.

     

    I think that this is the image they used:

    digijam.jpg

    Yes, that is Wetpixel member "Digitallywet" modelling!

     

    Thanks

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. My telephoto snappers are on the cover of DIVE this month - cropped and fliped - but then these 6MP cameras really do have too much resolution. The magazine also has a big shot article about "Big shot brooding anemone fish by Eric Cheng". I've not seen it yet.

     

    http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/

  2. Hi Alex,

     

    I picked up a copy of Dive this morning. i think its a real shame the way that the cover shows your snapper picture - cropped like that it becomes just another fish shot. When shown in full i think it is a great and very different picture.

     

    you don't mention the 6 picture spread they have of your BSoUP winning portfolio in the news section. Congratulations and don't spend the prize-money all at once !

     

    Eric has a double page spread of his clownfish with eggs shot with a column underneath filling in a bit of bio. It does say he founded wetpixel which isn't strictly true is it ?

     

    Eric's shot is also very cool.

     

    Mark

  3. Hi Alex,

     

    Michel Gilbert, u/w photo columnist with Diver. I'll scan the image and send it to you today. Congrats on making the cover shot beutiful image.

     

    Michel

  4. I haven't seen it but will have to take a look. Congrats to both you and the model for the cover!

     

    A shot of me was on the cover of Sport Diver UK in November. I found a copy.

  5. it is very rare that the model get's credit ... Alex worked me hard that day .. and i blame my overworked Olympus for not working so well that day ...

     

    For those of you that follow my moddeling career and have found Blue Steel is becoming a bit old hat since it made it into that movie .. I have progressed past Le Tigre and Ferrari ... I was going to perfect Magnum for release .. but that damn ben stiller ruined that for me after copying my moves ... I think on our next shoot I will pull out 'Dijon' in honour of Mr Mustard's cover shot .. congrats Alex ;)

  6. it is very rare that the model get's credit ...  Alex worked me hard that day .. and i blame my overworked Olympus for not working so well that day ...  

     

    For those of you that follow my moddeling career and have found Blue Steel is becoming a bit old hat since it made it into that movie .. I have progressed past Le Tigre and Ferrari ... I was going to perfect Magnum for release .. but that damn ben stiller ruined that for me after copying my moves ... I think on our next shoot I will pull out 'Dijon' in honour of Mr Mustard's cover shot .. congrats Alex ;)

     

    I know that is why I had to give you mention. It is one hell of a shot. Hopefully you got a Guiness for the efforts at the end of the day.

  7. Thanks Michel for sending me an image of the cover. I'll link it here once I have low res version on my website - so everyone can see what we are talking about. I like it!

     

    The other person who deserves thanks is Dave McKay (who rather appropriately is a Canadian!) from Eden Rock Dive centre in Grand Cayman, who kept us informed of the comings and goings of the Silversides and told us which cave to go to within the Devil's Grotto/Eden Rock complex.

    http://www.edenrockdive.com/

     

    While we doing these shots, I heard that David Doubilet had been ringing several people on the island to see if there were silversides about. He should have rung Dave!

     

    I am not partial to complimenting Giles, but I must say that it is very easy to work with someone who can dive so well. Makes a massive difference to how easy it is to get the pix. I got a couple of hundred versions of this shot over the few dives we did...

     

    Alex

  8. Here is the cover:

    diver_dec04.jpg

     

    Alex

  9. Hi Alex,

     

    In a previous post you talked about DD ringing some people on GC.

     

    For those who have a full collection of NG magazines, or wish to see his interpretation of Eden Rock diving go to http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photogra...bilet/0271.html

     

    We were on the island when he shot that image with Anne Hasson in the background. It was done for an article entitled Fair Skies for the Cayman Islands, which was written by Peter Benchley of Jaws fame. Article was featured in the June 1985 edition of NGM.

     

    Did a long interview with him at the end of a long dive day. Still have the tape, wonderful experience, lounging on the floor of the Spanish Cove photo center drinking water and crushing ice... yes some people do drink water when they dive.

     

    Dove with him a few times during a course he was giving and learned a lot only by watching him work.

     

    I remember when I saw his article come out how frustrated I was for not making such a nice image at the same location... mind you I was barely starting my serious u/w photography.

     

    At that time the Oro Verde was still a very nice wreck, lying on its side with no significant hurricane damage.

     

    Air terminal was still a shack but there were far less people and condos.

     

    Michel

  10. Thanks Michel for sending me an image of the cover. I'll link it here once I have low res version on my website - so everyone can see what we are talking about. I like it!  

     

    The other person who deserves thanks is Dave McKay (who rather appropriately is a Canadian!) from Eden Rock Dive centre in Grand Cayman, who kept us informed of the comings and goings of the Silversides and told us which cave to go to within the Devil's Grotto/Eden Rock complex.

    http://www.edenrockdive.com/

     

    While we doing these shots, I heard that David Doubilet had been ringing several people on the island to see if there were silversides about. He should have rung Dave!

     

    I am not partial to complimenting Giles, but I must say that it is very easy to work with someone who can dive so well. Makes a massive difference to how easy it is to get the pix. I got a couple of hundred versions of this shot over the few dives we did...

     

    Alex

     

    What month was it that you got the shot? We had some silversides in the Bahamas in late July last year. Just wondering if it is a seasonal thing.

  11. Hold the press!

     

    Great shot Alex, looks good as a cover.

    HOwever, Michel, could you please tell me about the photo on the top right. From what i can see in the small screen version, that is a model wearing a large mask and white bikini at Jellyfish Lake.

    This is a photo from one of my friends named Doug Sloss.

    I am not sure he knows that the photo is in there. Can you tell me a little more about how the photo is being used and what it is in there for?

    And of course, have they given him credit?

     

    Thanks,

    Mike

  12. Michel thanks for sharing those memories of Doubilet.

     

    Mike, your friend's photo is from a report on Antibes. The festival gives out a press CD of all the winning images afterwards and they tend to pop up in magazines all over the place - advertising the festival. Just had a quick look through the Antibes' winners and I didn't see your friend's name.

     

    Alex

  13. Wow, great cover. Really nice even tho it's cropped it retains the beauty of the shot. Congrats on that Alex.

     

    Rand

  14. Hmmm, interesting. I know he entered Antibes but didn't win anything. But that is definitely his photo and his girlfriend/model...

    Wonder why it would be included in the press release if it wasn't a winner...strange.

    Wonder who the mag gives credit to or if it just says Antibes Photo Festival...

  15. A couple of comments

     

    1) how many covers do you have to be on to be called a super model ... I think I am on 3 now .. and not many models get three covers. I must also say it is fairly easy working with Alex ... although if he sabotages my new camera just to get me to pose he is in trouble .... But I will gladly pose time and time again ..

     

    2) Model in the top right I have never seen her at any of my modeeling party's .. but i would like to !!

     

    3) Alex ... do you think I can get some free dive equipement as i model for you ?

     

    4) I like bodyglove wetsuits and seaquest bcd and scubapro fins mares masks and any very expensive reuglators sunnto dive computers and i think i need a female model companion. ;)

     

    5) I am for rent as a model .. as you can see I am very talented and push your photos that step farther with my visionary posing and ambiently classy style underwater. $100 for the first hour .. or Beers afterwards ... will need travel expenses and occassionaly i like to take my own photos too :D

  16. Ahhh, Giles, if only you were a woman!

  17. This is getting fun.

     

    My best half who was a photo jury member last Fall in Antibes does not recall seeing the bikini shot in the competition images. Might come from a previous year though.

     

    I was there too and do not recall it either but... failing memory happens when Pastis is good.

     

    Regarding GC in '84, I just remember that there were only TWO fast food restaurants then: Burger King and KFC.

     

    As far as silversides are concerned, the most dense population I saw was in the BVI's, in the Summer months... even lost a divemaster on a site because of those small creatures... fortunately everyone made it safely back on board.

     

    I also recall aborting a night photo dive because they were too numerous to allow for anything but silversides images...

     

    And Giles, don't worry about your modeling fees, Vogue still pays its top models a modest token fee for doing a front; the prestige of the publication is the reward... and remember, Diver is: The longest-established scuba diving magazine in North America... only defunct Skin Diver was older.

     

    If I may also brag about this "unique" publication, I must say that the arrival of Dr Phil Nuytten at the helm has added a lot of energy to the magazine. Considering what he has done in "one" life, entering the publishing world is the last thing I tought he would do. It is hard to find a more dedicated, knowlegeable and influential person in the dive industry North of 45. And I'm not saying this because he is my boss, I'm saying it because I've watched him over the years and learned to appreciate his many talents.

     

    Now enough of this endless prose and back to writing.

     

    Michel

     

    PS: Giles, we're headed to GC in August, if you are there we shall meet.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.