Digital 8 Video: NTSC vs PAL
Hi
This question needs an expert answer
If I rent a digital 8 video camera in Australia, the camera itself will be a PAL camera, i.e. its analog video out plug will play a PAL signal.
But if I take that digital 8 tape, put it in a digital NTSC camera, will it play back through the firewire port OK, allowing me to download and edit?
In other words, even though the cameras are different, one plays back PAL analog output, one plays back NTSC analog output, is the actual digital content on a digital 8 tape "format neutral"? Thus allowing me to play and download the digital content through firewire from a NTSC camera, even though it was originally recorded on a PAL camera?
Reason for the question: I have a digital 8 NTSC camera but no housing...I am normally a still photographer. I would like to rent a digital 8 camera in Oz, record video, then return to the US with only the tape, plop it in my digital 8 and download.
I have my own speculation as to the answer, but is there someone on the board that has the expert knowledge to answer for sure?
Thanks!