I'm thinking about housing and strobing aSony DSC-V3. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
Sony
-
-
This is my third attempt to post a reply here. Each time I have seen the "new thread", with my answer below the original question, and each time it has then dissappeared.
I am going to try this, using Fast reply, and then click add reply.
Anyway I think the V3 is arguably the best digicam out there, for UW photo. I'd say go for it. I've been debating getting one, and housing it myself.
The strengths of the V3, are the phenomenal great autofocus, and incredibly short final half press shutter lag. The nice big clear bright LCD is good too.
The only drawbacks are:
1) no RAW mode buffering - so raw mode cycles are slow - like 12 seconds between shots. The Canon G6 and Pro-1 have buffering, so you can shoot 4 shots in RAW very quickly, and then it drops to the same throughput of 12 seconds each. Too bad the Canon's are not in the same league as the V3 for autofocus capability.
2) likely no TTL ever available. See the "TTL Anonymous" thread, about how easy it is to learn to use manual flash, given the instant feedback of the digicam.
I'd say an ikelite housing, and DS-50 or DS-125 would be good. Probably want their manual controller, so you can get lots of fine power level steps from the strobe.
Hope this goes through.
Don
-
Don, Thanks for the feedback.
-
I'm liking the V3 as well, but the lack of RAW buffer bugs me. Is this the type of thing a firmware update can enable? I'm sure the answer is no, but I thought I would pose it to those more knowledgeable than I.
-
I doubt it is a mere firmware issue. Probably the amount of buffer is the issue.
I'm borderline - the 12-13 seconds cycle time for RAW, is not a problem, 90% of the time, since I tend to carefully compose, and take my time between shots anyway.
You've got to wait some for strobes to recycle as well...
I'm thinking to figure out a way to switch back to jpg quickly, for the pod of dolphins whipping by, to get fast cycle times.