Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

So i'm off to Palau on Wednesday

Started by MikeVeitch ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

So i'm off to Palau on Wednesday

5 posts
  1. And guess what? No camera for me...Just going for 4 days and will probably just dive on one of those days. Can't be asked to carry the whole thing over there just for that. Sooo, what are the odds i'm going to run into a whale shark or something becuz no camera?

     

    But i will get those manta mating photos developed, head to Kramers for the Bday (if any of you have been to Palau you will understand Kramers as a calling card for a bday celebration).

    WHo goes to one of the world's top dive spots twice in two months and can't really be asked to get in the water either time eh?

    Sheesh am i lazy....

  2. Going to Palau and no camera- are you crazy? At least take something. Yes there will be a whale shark. I've heard that the worst thing to happen is that you see a whale shark diving with the 105. It's not true. It would be worse to see it with no camera at all.

  3. I've only seen two hammerheads in my life, both in PNG, and both times I had the 105. One of those times I was also out of film (pre-digital days), which somehow made it all easier to take. To be honest, both times the hammer was too far away for a decent wide/angle shot, but I would have liked to have been able to try.

  4. I've heard that the worst thing to happen is that you see a whale shark diving with the 105. It's not true. It would be worse to see it with no camera at all.

     

    Not sure I agree!

     

    I will limit my rational to Hammerheads, of which I have only seen a few. In all cases I had a camera, and have yet to feel "pulling the trigger" would have been worthwhile. You have to have the right lens, the right visibility, the right distance to subject, etc, etc.

     

    At least I have always been able to remember the sighting clearly, instead of missing it to try and take what would have been "bad pictures".

     

    Not to say I am not still waiting for the opportunity to get a GOOD shot of one (or more). Maybe at the Cocos of Galapagos... :blink:

  5. Just got back, did two dives with Sams, Blue Corner and Ngedebus Coral Garden, great stuff. Really impressed with the new hard coral life at Ngedebus. It was one of the hardest hit areas by the 98 El Nino but you would never know it now as the reef looks fantastic. Glad to see how quick nature can recover.

    Didn't see a whale shark thankfully as i carried through with my promise of no camera. Did see 3 Dugongs whilst on an over island flight with Belau Air though.

    If any of you ever go to Palau this is something you must do, the islands look absolutely amazing from the air.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.