Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Please Help with "white balance" !

Started by Retsam ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Please Help with "white balance" !

4 posts
  1. Hello to all !

     

    Im from Austria and im going on honeymoon at Bora Bora.

     

    I bought a Sony HC90 and the Sports case SPK-HCA ( 17 feet water ressistant).

    So now i heared an read many things about underwater video and photo.

    My problem is that im going on holidays in two days and i cant buy any filter for the cam anymore because theres no time to buy.

     

    The bad thing with the video housing for the HC90 it is not possible to do

    white balance underwater.

    What I heared is that it should be possible to make a "with balance" at land with an orange/red colored sheet of paper.

    This should have nearly the same effect than a color filter !!!

    - Is this a "solution" or is this nonsense ???

    If this is not a solution what can i do ??

     

    - Second question which color filter / color of sheet of paper (for white balance)

    is the right one for such turquoise waters like in bora bora.

    Can anyone give me a color hint !!

     

    - Third question: is color correcting necessary for such a minimal depht ???

     

     

    Thank you very, very much for your help .

     

    Clemens Titz

  2. I think you should use a light blue paper to set white balance artificially, if you are diving blue water.

     

    If diving green water, I'd use a green piece of paper.

     

    I have never tried this. I am just guessing.

  3. An orange/red colord sheet of paper reflects mostly orange or red, so it is the opposite of where you want to go.

     

    Really, I don't think there is any way to fool the WB this way.

     

    Probably better off just going with daylight, or cloudy, or auto...

     

    If you stay in the top 30 feet, in clear water, sunny days, this will be adequate.

     

    Good luck.

  4. Does anybody else have input on the HC90? I am also looking at the Sea & Sea VX-G1 housing. If anyone has information on this set up, please post it here.

     

    Thanks

    :D

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.