- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
strange fish
-
-
not a fish.... forgot its name....but a eel. Ugly mothers ! Hide in the sand. I swam over a crab hidden under the sand once in PG, ( big one ) .... it ambushed me and clawed my leg
-
i found this red one and a white one exactly the same
so its an eal that helps now i maybe can find a name of this eal
thank you

-
Hi Danne
it's a reptilian snake eel, Brachysomophis henshawi
see Allen et al., 2003
cheerio
A

-
Hi Folks,
Eels ARE teleost fishes belonging to the order Anguilliformes.
Art, Do you have the complete citation? Family name would be good too. I gather it is not a moray (fam. Muraenidae).
Thanks
Tom
-
Hey tom, It bugs me too when people insist that eels arent fish. Do you know about FishBase. www.fishbase.org If not you should definately check it out. Tons of info on almost every fish species, and many different ways to search for them.
I did a fishbase search for Brachysomophis henshawi
Family Ophichthidae (Snake eels) subfamily: Ophichthinae
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSum...esname=henshawi
Fisbase there is a refrence link on that page. It brings you here. There you will find the complete citation for Arts refrence.
http://www.fishbase.org/References/Summary...esName=henshawi
-
Hi William,
I have a couple of AK fish pix in fishbase.

Thanks for the link!
No Allen et al. 2003 but there is this:
Allen, G.R. and M. Adrim, 2003 Coral reef fishes of Indonesia. Zool. Stud. 42(1):1-72.
here is a link to the species:
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSum...esname=henshawi
Very useful once you have the name and can search the database.
Tom
-
The link I gave may be redundant, sorry.

Tom
-
His refrence could also be
Allen, Steene, Humann, and Deloach. Feef Fish Identification: Tropical Pacific. Is also from 2003. Dont have the book in front of me so I cant say for sure that the fish is in that book.
-
Hi folks
yes, it's the book by Allen, Steene, Humann and somebody else (don't havbe it in front of me)
very useful and quite cheap
A

-
It's a crocodile snake eel. They're very common in the sand flats of Sabang, as you found out, I've got images of red, black and sand coloured ones.
Stu
-
found a couple of red onces and a sand colored they was every where there:)
thx for the names on them