Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Split photography with Nikon 16mm

Started by DavidG ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Split photography with Nikon 16mm

9 posts
  1. Hi

     

    I am thinking about doing some split photography with the Nikon 16mm/2.8D in a D100. I will be using the subal 8'' port and I would like to know if I have to use any special filter with this lens to get some decent split photos?

     

    Thanks

     

    David

    Edited by DavidG
  2. No filters required. If it's a really bright day, you MAY want to use your strobes to light up the underwater subject, or in a pinch, make a jig to mount a graduated neutral density filter on the lens. I've not done that, but others have. I just use my strobes...

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Thanks James,

     

    Do you use manual focus or auto ? I imagine it should be more easy manual because you have two different desitys .

     

    David

  4. I shoot all my split levels on AF. Obviously using one of the off centre AF sensors. I much prefer the 10.5mm for split levels (and would use a even wider lens if I had one) but here are a couple of shots taken with the 16mm, D100, Subal D10 and FE2 port. Which I hope encourages you to try this combination.

     

    Alex

    post-713-1111478893_thumb.jpg

    post-713-1111478949_thumb.jpg

  5. Alex: I love the seagrass shot - good encouragement to try this technique!

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. I've used the 16mm for split levels starting with film. I've always used AF. Use the lowest AF sensor to lock on something underwater. If you have to let the focus go a little soft, you want it on the top side. Most of these shots are done in shallow water where strobes aren't necessary, but be aware that you could have an exposure problem if there is a big difference in light between lower and upper.

     

    Once, I did a shoot at an indoor pool. I discovered that the above water half was darker than the underwater portion. I didn't make the mental adjustment from outdoors to indoors. Unfortunately, that was film. Didn't realize it until it was developed.

  7. I agree with James that you might consider strobes. Filters are hard because you have to get the alignment of water to the filter or it can show a flaw in the split image.

     

    Joe

  8. I think the 16mm lens is a great choice for spits with the D100. I've had a lot of fun with it. At first I was only using ambient light but my shots got a lot better when I added a strobe. It adds that extra punch of color, especially if your subjects are close. Here are a few shots from a recent trip to Indonesia where strobes really helped out.

     

    split2.jpg

    I definately used a strobe here. It may seem subtle but it really made a difference in both exposure and definition.

     

     

    split4.jpg

    Strobes were helpful here in balancing the exposure. Not only for the underwater portion, but for the above water part as well. I was swimming all around and sometimes the faces were in shadow and needed some fill.

     

     

    Here is a shot of me in the water. As you can see I had one strobe above the water and one below.

     

    Split1.jpg

     

    And here is self portrait. I was having way too much fun!!

     

    split3.jpg

     

    Obviously using strobes adds some complexity but it was totaly worth it for me. I was constantly adjusting the strobe power to get it just right. I use a L&M Titan housings and the ROC strobe controller was great. I had a lot of control over the strobe power and was able to dial in the exposure quickly and then make subtle changes as needed.

     

    Dan

  9. I think that Dan's second picture is excellent and certainly proves that strobes can be very helpful (especially if you have to shoot into the available light).

     

    But I do not think that they are essential. I never use strobes, split dioptres etc. Of course if you are only using available light you need to know how to use it to light your picture. It is not just a case of jumping in the water and snapping. You have to understand and exploit the light (as in all photography).

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.