Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

canon s1 is or canon a95 or any suggestions

Started by alg ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

canon s1 is or canon a95 or any suggestions

3 posts
  1. I am going on vacation and would like to take some underwater shots to document my experience. I would also like to use it for underwater photos in San Diego also. I have been researching for a few weeks now. But I am unsure and overwhelmed what type of camera to buy that is reasonable in price and will take good underwater photos. I have been looking at the Canon A95 and the Canon S1 IS and their underwater housings. Any suggestions. I don't want to buy something too expensive but I want photos to show and give to family and friends. I am new to underwater photography and I am worried about flooding my camera. In addition this camera will be used on land. Please advise.

    Thank You,

    ALG :D

  2. Hi ALG and welcome to Wetpixel.

     

    I'd have a look through this forum and through the compact cameras and housings forum for posts about the newest and highly recommended cameras and housings. Don Erway (derway) has put together some great information.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  3. Either of the two cameras you mentioned will work well for you, but the A95 would be my pick for an housed underwater camera and a nice land based travel camera. It has full manual control and works well with an external stobe kit. It also runs on AA batteries.

     

    Other models you may wish to consider is the S60 or S70 Canon's they offer an Underwater White Balance mode and have the ability to save files in RAW format.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.