Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Conception stolen and beached.

Started by davephdv ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Conception stolen and beached.

13 posts
  1. Someone stole the Dive boat Conception out of Santa Barbara Harbor yesterday. Ran it ashore near Pt. Arguello on Vandenberg AFB. Hit 3 boats, sinking one on the way out of the harbor. Boat is high on the beach with a hole in it's bow. Rumors from Santa Barbara is that Truth Aquatics has some doubts about being able to salvage the boat.

     

    This is a very good dive boat and excellent for UW photography.

    Edited by davephdv
  2. That is so dam sad for some loser to swipe a boat of that magnitude. I dive Truth all the time and I love their operation. I wonder what that will do to their insurance and our diving rates. I remember rates going sky high when several divers died at Farnsworth Banks in Catalina on the same boat on the same day. Rates went up from about $50 to $70 for a single day dive. Did they catch the theif?

     

    Joe

  3. Hello,

     

    I talked to a dive shop owner in the area today that said a homeless person had stolen the boat! He was seen riding a bike with all his belongings around the harbor the same evening and then stole the boat after an attempt was made to drive him out of the harbor. From the story I heard, the bike with the said belongings were recovered near AFB at the grounding site. He managed to sink one boat and then damage two others trying to get out of the harbor. He also trashed the electrical hook-ups when he pulled out of the dock, still being connected and all.

     

    Just what I heard today. I freely admit this is 2nd hand info. You know how it goes... in a few days it could it could degress into Michael Jackson's attempt to flee from his trial in Santa Barbara :blink:

     

    John

  4. Talked with a Truth Aquatics employee. Damage perhaps not as bad as reported. One propeller strut through the hull. False keel broken. Some sort of internal weakening forward. Damage to the rail.

     

    They have cut off the props and other protruding objects. Are reinforcing the hull with extra plywood. Taking off everything that will lighten the boat. They are going to try to pull the boat off the beach at high tide today or tomorrow. Was told if no further damage is caused it looks like the damage won't be too bad. They won't really know anything until they get the boat to the shipyard. Report all fingers crossed until they actually get it off the beach.

     

    Reported that a 41 yo transient who never worked for Truth Aquatics stole it. Was not from around here. Was found riding a bicycle that said Conception on it around Vandenberg AFB. He had a bottle of Grey Poupon that he had stolen from the Conception's galley. (I couldn't make that up) He is lucky he wasn't shot. The base was crawling with security armed with machine guns. They were all set for a classified missile launch when this happened.

  5. Matt Segal and I were booked on the Conception to dive today. Truth Aquatics switched us over to the Vision. Lastest news was that they were going to attempt to float and tow the boat tonight at 9pm. I also heard that both engines might have been severly damaged (burned out). If the boat needs to be repowered, this is a major operation.

     

    btw - the transient also took the A1 sauce. perhaps to drink?

  6. Hello all. We at Truth Aquatics are deeply saddend by the events of the last several days. As you can imagine we have gone to great lengths to salvage the Conception from the rocky beach she was stranded on Wednesday morning. So far all attempt have been unsuccessful but we have made progress and remain optimistic.

     

    For those interested in the the status of the Conception we have created a page on our website that details events as they happen.

     

    Theft of the Conception

     

    We appreciate all the kind words and support during this time and hope that we will eventualy be able the recover our boat.

     

    Capt. Chris Callahan

    Truth Aquatics, Inc.

    Santa Barbara, CA

  7. Thanks Chris;

     

    Here in SB our thoughts are with you.

     

    Dave B.

  8. Is there anything we can do to help? I know that's kinda silly to ask, but I have a special place in my diving career for Truth. Had many, many great dives with you guys, and I expect I'll have many more. Did they capture the transient?

     

    Your dive buddy,

     

    Joe Belanger

  9. Another local that is saddened by the loss of Conception, even for a short time, and the damage to Truth Aquatics, no matter how "bearable".

     

    Hope she floats!

  10. Yes they caught the guy and as of Monday afternoon the Conception was under tow to Ventura Harbor.

  11. Dave,

     

    Do you happen to have the pictures of the Conception on the beach? I see that Truth has updated their site to show they made it to the boat yard. Excellent post beaching news. You can send them privately if you wish to joediver@earthlink.net.

     

    I don't want to bother TRUTH at this time as I know they are totally engulfed in the business and the Conception repairs.

     

    Thanks, Dave.

     

    Joe Belanger

  12. Only picture I've seen of the boat on the beach was the one on their website. I took some pictures today of the boat in the shipyard. Will check with Glenn to see if it's okay to post them. Dockyard workers were busy working on the boat.

     

    There are pics of the damage to the boat at DigitalDiver.net.

  13. This news was a shock to me as I have tons of memories on the vessel. I even fixed the anchor motor for a free trip in the 80"s. Glen sent me an e-mail the other day and said that they will repair her no matter what... I'm in favor of sending the thief free diving with a 100# wieght belt say 5-10 miles out.Let him have some of the stolen mustard first. Mark

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.