Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Who shoots with the PDX10?

Started by nekton ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Who shoots with the PDX10?

2 posts
  1. Sounds like a decent camera when combined with a Gates or Amphibico housing.

     

    The issue is: rather poor low light capability at 7 lux.

     

    My main goal is to shoot closeups of hammerheads in the Galapagos. I have a rebreather, but my experience with video lights and hammerheads is that they freak with video lights.

     

    So do you think a PDX10 is OK at 50+ feet (in relatively clear water) without lights, but with a further light-reducing UR-Pro filter?

     

    Other options include a PD-170, or HD-FX1, but, jeez, with a weight and price to boot! I am already paying $3 a pound for massive excess baggage charges for my Mk 15.5 rebreather.

     

    Thanks for your advice!

    Edited by nekton
  2. The best low light performer is still the VX2100/PD170, next is the VX2k/PD150. The FX1/Z1 is about 2 stops off that from what I see. But I haven't shot u/w with it since none of the housings I like are delivering yet.

    The VX2k is only aa couple of hundred bucks more than the PDX10 IF you can find a new one. The VX2100 is about 400 more.You get better color, lowlight and inertia from a bigger housing. The Amphibico housing is about 8kg /18lbs loaded and is actually very compact, the smallest of the VX/PD housings.

    At 50ft, you can just barely use the WB shift on the VX. There's about 12db to play with.My experience in Galapagos is to use no filter for the wide shots and whitebalance for the closeups at the shallower depths. 50ft is about max for just WB(with custom menu WB shift to RED). I can't remember if the FLB filter is a stop or so better than the URPros, you may want to check that.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.