Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Entry level point and shoot

Started by mjs ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Entry level point and shoot

5 posts
  1. I am working on my PDIC Dive Supervisor rating and my instructor has asked me to teach Underwater Photography and Video. I currently teach video/film and photography in a local high school after doing so professionally for 25 years and will be helping more with the diving chores during the summer. I am looking for a good bang for the buck digital point and shoot to have available for the students if they don't have their own gear. Which of the two systems listed do you feel will make the most fiscal sense for this fledgling venture.

     

    Thanks,

    Michael

    mjsylver@serenitydiving.com

    www.serenitydiving.com

  2. I would definitely go for the Nikon. Other alternatives that I would recommend are the Olympus 7070 and OEM housing, and the Canon A series and OEM housing (a little less $$).

     

    HTH

    James

  3. Also Fuji F810 and OEM housing for RAW file support...

  4. Of the two, I would recommend the Nikon, but lots of the folks who I have been teaching use the SeaLife. The advantage of the Nikon is that topside it is a good vacation camera. Of the others, I second the Canons in their OEM housings.

    BVA

  5. My thinking is in a different direction.

     

    As a teaching tool, an all around great camera for UW as well as for the money, I would suggest the Oly 5050. They can be found used quite easily, and the factory housing is affordable. These days, you will find a lot of 5050 setups for sale as a complete system, as many are going the dSLR route.

     

    Just doesn't seem cost effective to try and use "new" technology in such a low return situation.

    Edited by richorn
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.