Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Ion D-180 vs D-2000

Started by hooked4life ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Ion D-180 vs D-2000

5 posts
  1. I have a chance to buy a used D-180. Has the D-180 replaced the D-2000? Should I buy the D-180 if I can get a good deal?

     

    I have a c5050 with Oly housing, and am pleased with the results but I need more light. I would start with 1 strobe and maybe move to duals. Most of my shooting would be less then 6 feet. I was looking at the DS-125 which appears to be a lot more powerful but I dont like the battery pack in the back and that you ahve to buy the charger seperate.

     

    Thanks.. Will

  2. Hi,

     

    The D-2000 seems to me to be an upgrade from the older D-180. Both are optical triggered strobes of "similar" power, but the D-2000 has newer and more advanced circuitry, including S-TTL

     

    You will be happy with either one when combined with your Olympus. If you can get a killer deal on the D-180, I'd say do that, otherwise, I'd recommend the D-2000.

     

    HTH

    James

  3. The D2000 also has the advantage of 13 manual power settings vs none for the D180's and the D2000 is very slightly more powerful (GN 20 vs 18)...Agree with James' recommendations.

  4. What do you mean with no manual settings for the D-180? Mine have 4: Full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8. I'd prefer 4 to 13...

     

    Haven't used the D-2000 but the D-180 is excellent in manual mode (don't much care for the auto mode).

  5. pardon me lidde - my bad - i forgot about the 4 settings on the d180!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.