Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

novice photographer need some help

Started by yedidou ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

novice photographer need some help

7 posts
  1. Hello folks,

    I am a really novice in the underwater photography. In fact, I don't even get my first underwater camera yet.

    So, I'll ask you to help me a little bit to do my choice and get a suitable camera for a beginner.

    I plane to buy a digital camera and its underwater housing, so I d like to know which resolution and what will be the suitable optical zoom the camera should has. and which camera brand do you recommand to me (one suitable and easy to use). I assume that 3 or 4 Mpixel may do the business.

     

    I d like to know if for a maximum depth of 10 to 15 m, I will need to have a strobe and/or a flash (other than the integreted flash of the camera).

     

    Also, what about the wide angel lens. do you folks think that this accessory is necessary for a beginner like me...it's an expensive camera accessory.

     

    Thanks for helping a beginner and a keen future underwater photographer

  2. I'm with you - 3-4 megapixels is certainly good enough for web use, and moderate size prints.

     

    But the real problem is the low end cameras, also lack manual exposure modes, fast auto focus, and short shutter lags.

     

    The need for an external strobe at 10-15 meters, depends a lot on the water conditions. What kind of water is most of your diving in? Clear tropical waters? Green northern waters?

     

    With any "stuff" in the water, you will get very bad backscatter from the onboard flash. A diffuser helps, but not all that much. The onboard flash is really only useable in the very clearest of water conditions.

     

    So, it depends on your budget - buying a used camera/housing/strobe might be a good way to go.

     

    If you are like me, and would be very frustrated with failures to focus, or with pictures of fish butts, that were head shots when you pushed the shutter, then you want to go high end - the sony V3, (or any recent sony - they all have exremely short shutter lags, and good AF), would be very good.

     

    The wide angle is certainly not necessary to start. And it just depends on the pictures you like, whether you will want to go that way someday.

     

    Give us a bit more info on your diving areas, and your photo background, and we can help out some more.

     

    Don

  3. thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

     

    my mostly underwater photographies will be taken in the mediterranean sea, in the summer season and between 10 am to 4 pm. Usually, at this time the water is quite clear and we have a rather good visibility. Also, my diving area will be principally some coral and fringing reef (not more than 10 m to 15 m). For a start I would to take some macro photos of the reefs life (some thing with slow moving...). and later, I will perhaps take some shots of a faster moving fish.

     

    I d like to know which features of the camera is more important : the resolution or the optical zoom. I know that for a best quality of an underwater photography, it is important to minimize the real distance between the subject and the lens of the camera... but if that is impossible for any reason, will the optical zoom do the business or not?

     

    In fact, I began to browse for some cameras and their respective housing. But, I can't yet make a choice. Should I get one with a high resolution (taking into consideration my budget ...500$ for all stuff) or should I make a compromise between the resolution and the optical zoom.

     

    thanks for your help

  4. Even in the clearest water, a zoom much beyond the 100mm equiv, is pointless. You can get shots, but they will be very low contrast, and low color.

     

    The wide side is more important, so if you can get a cam that goes to 24, or 28, rather than the usual 35, that would be good. On the other hand, the add on wet lenses mostly don't work at wider than 35, so that may be a consideration for future compatibility.

     

    focus speed, (especially in lowish light), and final shutter lags, are most important. Check out the reviews at:

     

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/

     

    for precise timings.

     

    Good luck,

    Don

  5. post-4324-1113525415_thumb.jpgHi. Hope this gets posted. First time on this board. I bought a Pentax Optio s 5i. 5 megapix with an underwater case. 15 scenes to choose from, including marine for underwater and a marine movie mode for underwater as well. Pixs were sharp and clear. Can't use viewfinder through your mask, so just point and shoot away. Digital so you can erase what you don't like. I didn't open the case until I was done for the day. Cost was $460 for the camera and the underwater case. I am glad I made the purchase. Send me an email address and I will send some shots.
  6. Welcome aboard! I reckon buying your first system is really tough. It seems almost inevitable that within your first dive trip or two you decide the system you have just bought is just not good enough - as it doesn't have the featues you now want.

     

    I moved through three systems in about 6 years: a Kodak point and click in an Ikelite housing (no strobe); a Nikon CP5000 in a Subal housing with one strobe; and now a Nikon D100 in a Subal housing with two strobes. Heaven knows what might come next. (those D2Xs look pretty darn cool though).

     

    My advice would be to look at a second-hand point and click with housing - 3-5 MP - attachable strobe if possible - and see how you get on with it. You can pick something up pretty cheaply.

     

    If you then realise you are hopelessly hooked, you can look into selling the house/wife/childen/car - as its only a matter of time - and go straight to a DSLR with a couple of strobes.

     

    Good luck!

     

    Tim

    Edited by TimG
  7. I would suggest doing at least padi's advanced set of dives... not that it makes you an advanced diver but it does introduce a number of new skills.... night, deep, wreck, dry suit (if the urge ever takes ya :D), navigation, buoyancy etc.. not only will you gain more experience you will be able to dive to a greater depth... something which you are currently limited on.

     

    have fun... diving and photography will be here for a long while... take yer time. there is no rush

     

    hth

    Steve

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.