Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

RAW Workflow

Started by james ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

RAW Workflow

7 posts
  1. Hi Gang,

     

    Eric recently introduced me to Capture One and I really really like it. It's billed as a complete RAW workflow package and I think it just about fills the bill.

     

    I thought I'd post a quick "here's what I do" thread for comparison to other people's favorite method. If this thread gets going well, I'll link it to the homepage and we'll save it in the "Best of Wetpixel" area.

     

    I'll take this from shutterclick to pre-press

     

    1) Download RAW images to HD using Downloader Pro, renaming them with date and job code. Capture One also has a downloading component, but I'll stick with what I'm used to.

     

    2) Launch Capture One and browse the RAW images. For each of the keepers, adjust White Balance, Exposure, Saturation, and Contrast. Add each image to the queue, and then start background processing them. I convert them to 8-bit JPEG's with the Adobe 98 space. C1 automatically makes a sub-folder called "Develops" and puts the JPEG's in there. I don't adjust sharpness using C1, instead using photoshop later, you'll see why. Note: I used to convert straight to TIFF, but after discussion w/ Eric, I don't see any reason to do it anymore. If I find an image I really want to print or add to my portfolio, I will go back to the original RAW file later and make a 16-bit TIFF and rework it for printing.

     

    3) Create "Web" and "Slideshow" folders for the trip.

     

    4) When all of the good RAW files have been converted, launch Photoshop. I have two actions I built, one for web-sizing and watermarking the images, and another one for slideshow-sizing the images. The actions also runs bayer-pattern sharpening on the images before resizing, and normal sharpening on the resized images to remove softness.

     

    5) Create a new web-gallery on my site and use the Java interface in Gallery to upload the files from the "Web" folder.

     

    6) If I was on the ball, I would use an image management program to keyword the files at this point. Maybe soon...

     

    This whole workflow process is really fast. Since C1 lets you background convert RAW files with individual adjustments, you don't have to click and wait, click and wait like you have to do w/ Photoshop.

     

    Thoughts? Suggestions?

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Thanks for sharing, James. Now the secret is out about C1Pro! I have had the good fortune of using C1 for a few years in studio and with a variety of DSLRs and Phase One digital backs. I typically capture directly to CaptureOne via FireWire while shooting or import to C1 from the camera using the same method after a shoot. Obviously being tethered to a notebook by FireWire is not a solution at 60ft!

     

    Fortunately, Adobe has taken note and is building ACR to function similarly in Photoshop CS2. It will be interesting to see if the new ACR is as robust as C1 but I can't imagine it being a better tool.

     

    I am not sure if there is a place to upload files on this site but it would be great if everyone could share CS droplets/actions. It sounds like you have built some really nice workflow tools to compliment an excellent approach.

     

    For image management, check out Extensis Portfolio. Organizing archives could not be easier.

  3. I am looking forward to the batch functions in CS2.

     

    Although I have nothing against the other options, I am inherently looking for a single source solution.

     

    I will be in Las Vegas for NAB beginning Sunday, and expect Adobe to be my first stop on Monday AM. I will try and post a "first look" on the CS2 workflow on Monday afternoon if I can find the time. Otherwise, later in the week for sure!

  4. It seems that C1 uses their own RAW algorithms, which mostly works great, and ocassionally turns out something far below what you get the breezebrowser, or canon's stuff.

     

    I really do like the background batch processing, but haven't switched away from BB yet.

     

    Maybe the CS2 will be the best of both.

     

    Don

  5. I agree with Rich on this one; a single program is just easier for me. Also, I downloaded capture one trial from Nikon's website and it took over my PS CS raw converter. It would only allow me to do two basic adjustments and I lost all control (there was nothing special about what I saw on the screen). I had to delete it, delete PS CS, reinstall pS, and delete certain files from win32 to get back my PS raw converter. I am antsy to install another raw converter for fear it will gobble up my other raw options.

     

    Joe

  6. On a Mac if you install Nikon view or Nikon capture it will install a plugin that will take over the functions of Nikon raw. Merely delete the plugin from PS and PS raw will work as before.

     

    I assume that Capture 1 is not the same as Nikon capture though.

  7. Hi Gang,

     

    I have had no problems switching back and forth between the two RAW converters. In photoshop, I simply use the file browser to find a file, double click on it and the ACR converter dialog box comes up.

     

    Dave is correct about Nikon View though - if you install their raw converter plugin for PS during the software installation, it will "highjack" your PS raw converter...lol.

     

    I'd be delighted to hear about y'all's RAW workflow - regardless of which program you use. How do you browse and decide which RAW files are "keepers" and worth developing? What settings do you like in the various RAW converters? Do you delete the rejects, or just keep them just in case? What other software or plugins do you use?

     

    Anyone here use Noise Ninja, Panotools Plugins, Photokit Sharpener?

     

    Cheers

    James

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.