Well maybe I just climbed out of my Model T (MX-10). First, is my guess that "AF" means autofocus accurate?...And it works underwater? Don't I feel silly. What kind of range does it have? ![]()
- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
AF? Autofocus? You're kidding!
-
-
You were not very clear in your questions but I will try to answer them the best I can. Sorry if i'm not answeing what you were asking.
Yes AF usually means AF. The accuracy of AF depends on the camera, lens, and light conditions.
Usually AF performs very well in most conditions. Tell us what camera you are using or planning to use and chances are someone here has used it and can tell you how it's AF performs underwater.
Range. That is also dependant on the camera/lens. All cameras will be able to focus as far away as need be. How close you can get is different for every camera/lens?
-
AF can work very well underwater. And I use it for all my pictures.
It is not an automatic cure, though. You must understand how it works and help it along.
It is also very variable between camera models. A top DSLR is incredible, while a low end compact with a macro lens might not be so great.
Alex
-
I do not yet have a digital camera. I'm researching so I can make some knowledgeable purchases. So far I know a few things:
70% of my diving is drft diving with a group. That means patient, very close macro work is problematic due to current and the pull of the group.
Experience wth a fixed focus camera/strobe outfit (an MX-10) tells me I tend to hesitate and shoot too late. So long shutter lag is a no-no for me.
I can't afford a DSLR outfit even if all I get is a camera, and housing. I can afford a more middle-of-the-road camera with an inexpensive housing from the camera manufacturer, and a strobe.
Beyond that, I am undecided. Olympus clearly wants to be in the market with three wide-angle cameras/housings in my price range. But reports tell me their AF is way slow. (I have worked with AF on land. Now that I know it's available u/w too, it's a feature that is too good to pass up.)
So now I need to look at other camera brands. Each of which has their strengths and weaknesses. But before I can do that seriously I need to know about strobes. This is a whole new set parameters I'm not familiar with.
I do know they often work differently wth different cameras. There's TTL, and steps, and adjustable power, and fiber-optic triggering, and so on, ad infinitum.
My eyes start to cross after a while. I'd appreciate some perspective, perhaps an overview of a few pieces of the puzzle. Thanks.

-
For my money, the best non dslr solution out there now is the sony V3 - far awd away the best AF in any digicam, near 0 final press shutter lag, great focus closeup mode that allows focus from very close up, to infinity, without switching in and out.
Regarding TTL and strobes, read the thread "TTL Anonymous". Have you done a lot of land photography? Have you used manual flashes, using the guide numer rule?
Using manual strobes with digicams is a good thing - because you can have full control over the lighting, and you can get instant feedback on how it worked out.
If you insist on TTL strobe control, the choices are more limited - like those slow AF olys, nikons, or canons. The canon G6 might be the best over all - great fast RAW mode cycle time.
Good luck,
Don
-
Thanks Don.
You have given me my next few research assignments.:
>For my money, the best non dslr solution out there now is the sony V3 - far awd >away the best AF in any digicam, near 0 final press shutter lag, great focus >closeup mode that allows focus from very close up, to infinity, without switching >in and out.
This one will take several days for me to get back to you with intelligent questions.
>Regarding TTL and strobes, read the thread "TTL Anonymous".
I read the thread. So the value of TTL in today's digital cameras depends on who you talk to, the kind of situations faced, and personal experience and taste. It is not open and shut. TTL ability now becomes a less important feature than previously in deciding which camera and strobe combination to purchase.
>Have you done a lot of land photography?
Yes.
>Have you used manual flashes, using the guide numer >rule?
None.
Okay. It is almost 11 PM. My eyes are starting to close. Have to respond to the rest tomorrow.
Thanks again.