Does anyone out there have input on either of these housings? I am a total NEWBIE to diving, digital and UW photography (hows that for jumping in the deep end) and am researching housings for my CP5000. I have read the archived posts, maybe someone has more recent feedback. I'm curious about the Subal feature of the viewing screen being open & angled. Would it be advantageous to have the camera down infront of you? More comfortable & easier on the neck?
I read the Oct 2002 RSD article on the Tetra housing. Want to hear of some hands-on experience.
I've learned alot already from this great site. Hope you'll be able to answer my newbie questions and gently drift me in the right directions. Thanks.
I am not sure if you have already considered the Aquatica housing for your cp5000 but, you should. One, it is a Canadian company, as I see you are from Canada. As a result the quality you get for the price for an aluminium housing is a plus. Especially with the current exchange.
I know Subal makes great housings but the price can be high. As is the case with the Tetra.
Thanks for your suggestion. I have checked out digideep.com to compare the specs (Thank you digideep!) and will spend the weekend mulling over the options.
If price were no object what would you choose and why.
Any further info would be appreciated.
Based on the quality of the housing vs price, I went with the Aquatica housing and am very happy I did.
Look at the Ike housing for the 5000. It is a very well made housing that access all camera functions. I am very pleased with it. Only thing it doesn't have is digital ROC (see the Tetra housing) and Ike tells me they are going to come out with their own version of ROC for both their strobes and their digital TTL sensor.
I've just been for a week diving in the Red Sea together with my CP5000 and a SUBAL housing. Definitely the view finder open and angled is a big plus!
I have had experience with Subal SLR housings but not with any of their digital models. I generally prefer aluminum housings over the Lexan of Ikelite and North American producers over the European manufacturers for one simple reason -- parts and support. Subal no longer has an American distributor (nor does Seacam), regardless of what is read in the trades; that, and they are tremendously overpriced (up to three times the price I paid for the CP-5000). I would much rather be able to quickly place an order for o-rings, etc . . .
I have been using the Aquatica A5000 and it's basically a scaled down version of their excellent SLR housings. The CP5000 coupled with the housing is still smaller than my old F4S and may be used with or without the provided handle (with a strobe arm attached to the accessory point on the housing top). Also, the clam-shell design -- hinged at one end -- is a great idea . . .