Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

KLM - Overweight Charges

Started by markprior ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

KLM - Overweight Charges

5 posts
  1. I flew with KLM to Bonaire from London recently (via Amsterdam). On the way out my 26kg case was considered no problem. In conjunction with my girlfriend's 20kg case.

     

    On the way back at Bonaire airport I was told that this was too heavy and that I would have to pay an excess charge.

     

    I was given the option of paying 40 Euros as a Diving Equipment surcharge or paying for 4kg of extra weight if this was cheaper. Turns out 4kg of weight would cost 80 Euros so I had to pay the 40 Euros.

     

    This left a sour taste in my mouth with respect to KLM particularly when flying to a destination where I am sure nearly 100% of its tourism is diving related.

     

    Curiously my carry-on case was not a problem despite being over the 10kg maximum although they would not let me add anything to it.

     

    This was an annoying situation given that the plane was only 1/2 full and last year I backpacked round the world with a 25kg backpack doing 10 or more flights with not one complaint about weight.

     

    Mark

  2. From my experience also there are no rules when they will want to charge you for overweight, its depend on the mood of the selector or anyone else that involved in the airport.

    On the way back from the Maldives the selector there decided that my hand luggage (troli) with my housing, ports, flash and more inside it is bigger then what is aloud and didn't gave me to take it with me to the plane, only after a lot of argues he let me continue. this hand luggage was flight with me over the last 2 year in more then 20 flight with no problem and it's matching the standard size of hand luggage.

    Edited by alto
  3. The mood of the desk clerk is definitely the most important factor. In January I went to Fiji on Air New Zealand for a field survey. One person in our group annoyed the clerk by asking for a "research" discount for extra luggage which I had gotten in the past from other airlines. The clerk weighed every piece including all carry ons, made us re-distribute items to get the weight right, had us sign quit claims for potential loss, & in general made life pretty miserable. I had 3 carry-ons, 2 bags & 3 crates so I got hit the worse. Meanwhile other clerks were letting other passengers pass through with grossly overweight bags & oversize carry ons. Travel is only going to get worse as several airlines have decreased the maximum weight for international flight from 70 pounds per bag to 55 pounds. :)

  4. As long as the ticket agents have some discretion, as Leslie hints, it's best to be polite and allow them to "wield" their power. I also feel it's always in your best intrest to let it slip that you're an U/W photograper and diver. Perhaps, this will get some allowances.

     

    My recent trip to Australia is a good example.The final leg was on a small prop plane. My bags went on the scale and the agent gave the usual 'OH wow! you're way overweight!

    I explained I'd flow all the way from Seattle, to dive there. The first agent brightend immediatly, he was from Vancouver and recently transplanted to Australia, another agent, standing by him was a newly certified diver and was so excited to hear about cold water diving. Long story short, no overweight charges.

     

    I can't really confirm this, but I've heard that professional photographers in any case are sometimes cut some slack. Not that I'm a Pro, but I did sell a picture once. FWIW.

     

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.