Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Night Dive settings

Started by DivinDiva ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Night Dive settings

8 posts
  1. I am planning to do the manta night dive in Kona in Nov and have not had the opportunity to use my setup much since I just got it. I have Nikon CP995, Aquatica housing, SB 105 strobe.

    This weekend I used my camera topside to take some pictures around a campfire and had alot of trouble composing because the imae didn't show up in the LCD. I had to compose with the viewfinder (not an option underwater). I was concerned about this for underwater when all that will be illuminating my subject is my strobe pointer light.

    Do you setup the white balance the same?

     

    Sandy

  2. I actually attach a really strong dive light (with a matte lens) to my housing tray with bungie cords. Never had a problem focusing after that. :P

     

    If I use the high-output modeling bulbs in the DS-125 strobes, they don't last as long as I'd like them to, and the weak ones don't do well with the D60's poor low-light focusing capabilities.

  3. I simply connect my normal dive light to my Sea&Sea strobe arm (a friend attached a u-shaped piece of alu to my lamp handle that fits to the strobe connector). Works like a charm in combination with the internal flash of my Oly. Next time i'll try to mount it on a second strobe arm and combine it with my strobe. What i like best is that i now have one free hand to operate my inflator, ...

    Sabine

  4. I just got back from Kona - I did one of those Manta Ray nite dives on Sunday at Garden Eel Cove.

     

    The mantas are 10' wingspan on average and swim right over you literally touching you. One actually brushed my head and left "manta ray slime" in my hair...:blink:

     

    So you'll want as wide a lens as you can get. You can probably preset the focus at 3' and let the 995's huge DOF do the rest for you. Composition's going to be hard.

     

    I second what Eric said. Use a strong light for focus assist and just cover the end with a diffuser. I usually just rubber band a piece of white shopping bag over the end of my dive lite.

     

    You're going to get a lot of backskatter from dozens of divers thrashing around on the bottom so get your shots early and make sure that you have ong strobe arms.

     

    Good luck and have fun!

  5. James,

    Wow! Songs like a cool dive even if I don't get any great pictures. That's the fun of it though for me. It's great when you get a great shot but just being there trying is as good as it gets. Did you get any good shots?

    I'm looking forward to the mantas. I have over 700 dives and have only seen 1 manta and for only a second. They are really a beautiful animal.

    My husband and I were suppose to go to Socorros Islands last year on a live aboard, Poseidon's Mistress. The boat sunk in a hurricane about 1 month before our trip. We used our airfare towards this trip. I'm sure the manta encounter are better there but Hawaii sounds cool too.

    Any tips on diving there? Favorite dive site?

     

    Sandy B)

  6. I've been diving now, many hundreds of dives in Kona.

     

    Far and away, the best, most fun, dive operation is dive makai.

    (divemakai.com).

     

    They can find you anything that is there, on request.

     

    They frequently offer "adventure" days, where they go way far down south, away from where everyone normally dives, and find all kinds of incredible stuff. About hafl the time, they'll find a pilot whale pod, and you can get in and snorkel with them. Very often, there are oceanic white tip reef sharks, following along, behind the whales.

     

    I went there for 3 weeks last dec/jan, and got a bunch of photos, many of which are on my pbase web site, below.

     

    Have fun.

    Don

  7. Don,

    Loved your web site! Great pictures! Really makes me look forward to taking my own in Hawaii. We have 5 boat dives and unlimited shore diving with Kona Dive charters. We chose them because they had the shore diving package. We plan to dive alot though. We'll probably try some other charters. I really want to try a blue water excursion with the pilot whales and sharks. Maybe with Dive Makai.

    What are some of your favorite shore diving sites?

     

    Sandy

  8. Most of the good dive sites can be reached from shore. Check out the "Big Island Revealed" for good shore diving spots.

     

    HTH

    James

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.