Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

laptop recommendation? -- IBM X41?

Started by tie ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

laptop recommendation? -- IBM X41?

13 posts
  1. I looking to buy a new laptop. I'd like to be able to do some Photoshop on it, but I'd also like some portability. I looked into Macs, but the 15" PBook is too big, and the 12" too heavy. So I'll stick with Windows.

     

    I had basically decided on the IBM X41 (1.5 GHz, 3.2 lbs, 12" 1024x768 display). I figure with bumped RAM, it should perform okay. But after seeing one I am concerned about the screen quality. I don't know exactly what it was, since I couldn't do a scientific comparison, but the colors seemed a bit washed out.

     

    Should I worry about this? Can it be fixed with calibration? Are the IBM displays any good?

     

    If not, then any other recommendations? My friend suggested Apple, Panasonic and Sony had the best screens. I am worried about glare from the XBrite screens, though, and am not sure how accurately they represent photos, either.

     

    I ran a search but couldn't seem to find anything.

  2. Hi,

     

    I still think the Apple is a better choice than the IBM. Incredibly, the PowerBook 12'' is cheaper (1699, the IBM X41 is 1999), it has an 80gb 5400 rpm HD (as opposed to 40gb 4200 rpm in the IBM), and as far as I can tell, the IBM doesn't come with integrated optical drive, and the PowerBook comes with a DVD burner.

     

    Finally, the PowerBook is only 1 pound heavier than the IBM, and, at 4.5 pounds, I wouldn't say that the PowerBook is heavy. You will see that with photos and programs you will quickly fill up the 40gb hard drive of the IBM and you will need an external (or ultra slim) hard drive or DVD burner, adding ~1 pound to your total weight, and making it no different than the PowerBook.

     

    However, I must say that my opinion is biased, I am a happy owner of a 12'' PowerBook, and had various titanium powerbooks before.

  3. Toshiba has never really been my favourite as the satelites and the tecra or whatever they were seemed to be built with a self destruct after 1 - 2 years. but i love the look of these

    small and light

     

    tablet

     

    there are some really nice non mac laptops out there .. my opinion is biased as i think mac's suck big fat hairy things ... but each to their own .. the mac pc debate would be never ending as it is opinions not really anything else that will make you buy either or.

     

    Acer seem to be great value for money in the USA and Advent are the same for the UK .. depends on what you want and how much money you have to spend .. is it just for travelling and dumping onto a desktop at home etc etc

    Edited by digitallywet
  4. An inexpensive IBM T41 (buy last year's model) can fly through the editing of 16.7 megapixel RAW images. My friends on Apple Powerbooks and iBooks have all had a hard time, for some reason. Apple notebooks are falling behind in the speed war because they haven't figured out how to jam a G5 into a notebook yet without cooking your legs.

     

    The X41 is a fantastic machine, but IBM is behind in screen technology in their notebooks. All of the other PC guys seem to have beautiful displays that look like the XBRite (beautiful even when compared to an Apple notebook).

    Edited by echeng
  5. Thanks for the responses. I am basically platform agnostic. I have a Mac at home, PCs and Macs at work. My laptop now is an IBM, so I'm comfortable with them. Price isn't a big problem, since work is paying for this one.

     

    The Powerbook does have a faster hard drive, but its bus is 167 MHz and RAM is only 333 MHz. The IBM has 533 MHz bus and RAM, and I'd get it with the 60 GB hard drive.

     

    An internal DVD burner would be convenient, but saving a pound when I don't need the burner is very attractive.

     

    Any comments on the display quality?

     

    Edit: Thanks Eric, we posted at the same time.

    Edited by tie
  6. By the way, I use a T41p, and I love it. The screen isn't as good as others, but it is relatively light, can burn DVDs, is really fast, has the best keyboard of all notebooks, and has a nice trackpoint so I can use the mouse without moving my hands. I'm more productive on this machine than I am on other machines, and for me that is what counts. :blink:

     

    I also believe that it is quite difficult do any serious editing on any current notebook. Sure, some displays are pretty good, and you can calibrate them effectively with the newer photospectrometers on the market, but you're always going to be working with a handicap. That said, I do plenty of editing on my notebook. I just reserve most of it for home.

    Edited by echeng
  7. I own a Powerbook 15" with 1GB memory, and an IBM T40p with 1.25 GB memory. I used to use the powerbook, but have fully switched back to the IBM. I find it faster, and i have access to more software, like GPS software and dive computer software (which I couldnt use on my powerbook).

     

    I think the powerbook screen is a bit nicer, but not nice enough to really matter. I dont do any serious work on the laptops anyways. I just weed out the crappy images, and use iView to anotate the rest, and then at home I do real work on a real computer :blink:

     

    If a DVD burner is important, cant you buy a DVD burner and replace the existing one? Im doing just that myself right now. My thinkpad has a DVD player I can just rip out and replace with a burner.

     

    Cor

  8. We use a Fujitsu P5010D. With its 10.5" screen, and Pentium M processor, this unit is most interesting for our needs.

     

    Replaced by the P7010D I think, it now has more horsepower and you can fit it with a DVD burner.

     

    The built-in CF card slot and wireless capability make this line of small computers great for travel. I happen to live in Windows world and I am sure the Macs would offer as good if not better performance.

     

    We simply happen to like our little Fujitsu.

     

    Michel Gilbert

  9. I've just gone through several months of poring over laptop specs, screens, prices, etc. First off the punchline: I bought a Fujitsu S6231. Now for the rest of the story. I have used IBMs in the past and they are very nice machines. My old T40 held up well and performed just fine but I had to give it back to the job I quit! I thought about getting a new one. However, I was a bit put off by the cost of new T-series models. So, I started poking around forums, review sites, etc. In the process of this, I started thinking about an "ultraportable" because of the weight savings. I also wanted an integrated DVD burner. This led me to the Fujitsu P7010D. It's a wonderful little machine with a bright crisp WXGA (1280x728) screen. With the DVD drive in the bay, it weighs about 3.1 pounds. It also has a built-in Compact Flash slot. While looking at this litte gem, I was introduced to a company called PortableOne. They are the largest importer of Fujitsu notebooks in the U.S. In addition, they custom-configure Fujitsu notebooks and warranty them. However, to get a P7010D configured with a faster hard-drive and more RAM would have run the price up outside my budget. Note that Fujitsu also sells them on eBay (refurbs and closeouts) for good prices, though they come with 4200 rpm drives and not that much RAM. Also, the keyboard on the little thing (screen is only 10.6") was uncomfortable for me (big hands). So, I bounced back to looking at IBMs until I discovered that PortableOne markets their own line of laptops. They have one called the MX that is about 95% as good as the T-series but much less money. The MX has gotten great reviews and has a much better screen (in SXGA+ resolution -- 1400x1050) than the T-series. In almost all other respects (except price) it is very close. The MX also has a nice feature in that PortableOne offers Ultrabay hard drives up to 100GB if you'd like to have that option to swap them out with the optical drive. Fujitsu also makes a competing model called the S7010 but I think the MX is a better buy. If you are seriously considering a T-series IBM, you should do yourself a favor and look at the MX. But back to my story. I was almost sold on the MX, mostly because of the bright high-resolution screen, but I was still stuck on getting something a bit smaller. I was almost lured by large rebates and coupons into getting a Dell 700m but couldn't get over the fact that it was a Dell, that it had horrible battery life unless you got the bigger battery, and that it weighed almost 5 pounds even though it was a 12" laptop. Finally, I read about another model in the Fujitsu line, the S6231. Instead of a 14.1" screen, it comes with a 13.3" screen. The screen is very bright and is one of the Crystal View ones (shiny but very contrasty). It didn't have some of the bells and whistles (no bluetooth, no fingerprint scanner, screen only available in XGA(1024x768)), but it had a decent processor, used inexpensive RAM (unlike the P7010D) and weighed, with the DVD burner installed, a grand total of 4 pounds, two ounces (I know because I weighed mine!). I had PortableOne install a 60GB 7200rpm hard drive (great upgrade) and send it to me with the 512MB of RAM in one slot, vice 256x2. I ordered a 1GB stick of RAM from newegg (price now something like $139) bringing the total up to 1.5GB. I got the machine about three weeks ago, installed the extra RAM (took about two minutes) and really like it. For me, it was the best compromise available and PortableOne threw in a three-year warranty for free. I should also add that every time I called PortableOne, a person answered the phone quickly, suffered through my questions and offered relatively helpful advice (all the other retailers I talked to just tried to push a sale on me and/or get me to add options). From all reliable reports, their after-purchase service is really good as well. I also looked into the Sonys (they have a model with a 13.3" widescreen) but decided that Fujitsu just made a better product and stood behind it better.

     

    Hope this helps!

     

    Mike

    Edited by MikeO
  10. I should also add that Dell has now released a new ultraportable called the X1. It is a rebranded Samsung Q30. The Q30 got great reviews. Dell has made a couple changes (downgraded to a 4200rpm hard drive, but added bluetooth, for example). No built in optical drive (it does have a CF slot) but it is a snazzy little thing and Dell bundles external USB DVD writers with it. Not as bad as it sounds because the external ones are usually faster than the internal ones. For a comparison of the X1 to the IBM X41, see this link:

     

    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2348

     

    Note that the X41 has a faster processor (1.5Ghz vs. 1.1 Ghz). Fujitsu P7010D would still probably be my choice for an ultraportable, though . . .

     

    Mike

    Edited by MikeO
  11. I bought a Vaio VGN-S2XP at Christmas - and love it. This was a replacement for another Vaio which I had for almost 4 years. The current Vaio is portable, light-ish, burns DVDs and will handle RAWs and Photoshop no sweat. 80GB HD, 512MB RAM, 128MB VideoRAM......

  12. Thanks everyone for the good advice. It really cleared up my mind on what I needed and what was out there.

     

    I decided I didn't really need an ultraportable, just something significantly less than five pounds. And I'd prefer not to live with a cramped screen, in size or resolution.

     

    So I ordered the Fujitsu S7000. It is 3.8 pounds, or 4.3 pounds with internal DVD writer. 14" 1400x1000 screen, 60 GB 5400 RPM drive. Not as fast as the IBM T series, but not as heavy. Not as light as the IBM X series, but with a better screen and optical drive. In terms of quality, worse than IBM or Apple but better than Dell. I'll cross my fingers.

     

    That Sony Vaio seems quite nice (a little bit smaller, but still with a high-res screen, internal DVD writer, better graphics), but I decided against it because all the reviews mentioned fan noise. Also I tried it and didn't find the keyboard ergonomic (funny buttons, no trackpoint). I decided against the Powerbook because of the screen only 1024x768, the weight (4.6 lbs), and that it has no DVI output (only mini DVI). I can just imagine forgetting the extra dongle at a presentation. I hate dongles!

    Edited by tie
  13. I think the Fujitsu S7000 series is a fabulous choice. And, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that the quality is right up there with IBM. Only thing probably not quite up to IBM standards is the keyboard. I have a Dell D600 from work and and a Fujitsu S6231 that it my machine and I can tell you there is really no comparison in terms of screen and build quality. The Fujitsu wins hands down. In case you haven't gone there already, be sure to check out the Fujitsu forum at www.notebookreview.com. Lots of helpful folks there.

     

    Mike

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.